In search of a warm, relaxed sound

Makabura

Standard Member
The best thing to do is home trial or at least demo with your amp. In the UK the QX mark one are available at a discount due to the mark 2 being out.

Wharfedale Diamond 12 series are similar price range to lx2 and QA 3000i. Worth demoing if available. We can recommend different speakers but its difficult to know which sounds best to your own ears in your room.
I agree, thank you. I can get lx2 mark 2 at 300€ and 3030i at 400€. Sadly none of them I can test them at home due to seller's rules.

FootHealer

Reasonable idea. I think of doing so, but haven't decided yet. The only downside to 3030i for me is that I don't have much space. I attached a picture of my setup with Wharfedale Diamond 12.2. At occasions I can pull the speakers our, but mostly they must be there. Kef q350 didn't have problems with bass due to placement, also 12.2 did not; only Wharfedale D320 is really not behaving well. Not sure why, maybe bottom port, maybe reaches lower frequencies that resonate more in my room (it is rate at lower frequencies than other speakers, at kef q350).

Can I order them to Slovenia? They look nice, vintage vibe and hopefully good sound as well.

Ps: only now I know how to quote multiple comments. I do apologise for replying less systematically.
Oh, I see now. If you plan to put the speakers in the same position as the ones in the photo, the 3030i is out of the question. I tried it in a similar PC setup (only one side wall) and it boomed badly. Speaking frankly, it's a very tricky place to position any loudspeaker, what with the back and side walls being so close to the cabinets. Basically, you're sitting then in a little open box. If I were you, I'd get a small speaker and a subwoofer that can be crossed over at 80Hz or less so you cannot tell where the bass is coming from. That would be what I would do.

Makabura

Standard Member
Oh, I see now. If you plan to put the speakers in the same position as the ones in the photo, the 3030i is out of the question. I tried it in a similar PC setup (only one side wall) and it boomed badly. Speaking frankly, it's a very tricky place to position any loudspeaker, what with the back and side walls being so close to the cabinets. Basically, you're sitting then in a little open box. If I were you, I'd get a small speaker and a subwoofer that can be crossed over at 80Hz or less so you cannot tell where the bass is coming from. That would be what I would do.
Yes, the place is not optimal, but strangely kef q350 and wharfedale diamond 12.2 did not have a problem with a bass in that configuration (I loved their bass). This gives me hope that also 3030i would be OK, if not by its own, with bass port plugs and maybe some EQ bellow 60 Hz to get less bass. I think that by doing so, I would get a similar sound to 3020i, but with an option of having bass if I want. Or am I mistaken and 3030i gets boomy with bass port plugs and even EQ as well?

I sadly cannot try 3030i and if not being ok, return them. I can only audition them in a shop. Maybe I could ask them to simulate my room in some small room if they have it.

FootHealer

Yes, the place is not optimal, but strangely kef q350 and wharfedale diamond 12.2 did not have a problem with a bass in that configuration (I loved their bass). This gives me hope that also 3030i would be OK, if not by its own, with bass port plugs and maybe some EQ bellow 60 Hz to get less bass. I think that by doing so, I would get a similar sound to 3020i, but with an option of having bass if I want. Or am I mistaken and 3030i gets boomy with bass port plugs and even EQ as well?

I sadly cannot try 3030i and if not being ok, return them. I can only audition them in a shop. Maybe I could ask them to simulate my room in some small room if they have it.
I understand. I would say if you want to try it, then why not. If the other 6.5-inch speakers where okay (for you) in this position, then hopefully the 3030i would work also. If you have the option to use EQ this would be better than using the port bungs, as the midrange didn't sound good to me using these.

Good luck :)

Makabura

Standard Member
I understand. I would say if you want to try it, then why not. If the other 6.5-inch speakers where okay (for you) in this position, then hopefully the 3030i would work also. If you have the option to use EQ this would be better than using the port bungs, as the midrange didn't sound good to me using these.

Good luck :)
I will try them in a shop with plugs and see how they work. If there is a big difference between 3030i with plugs and 3020i with no plugs, being worst for 3030i, I will take the 3020i. Sounds a good idea. Thank you for all the help.

Flobs

From your photo it looks like you have at least the left hand speaker parellel with a wall and they are deep. Ypou could be getting a lot of 'muddle' in your mids from that. Have you tried them with some toe in so they are not parellel with the wall?

Helix Hifi

Have all the speakers you had before been placed like in the photo. No wonder the sound is not optimal.

Too much reflection from the side walls.

Helix Hifi

The speakers are crammed in each corner. No airy sound which you get when the speakers are correctly placed in the listing room.

Perhaps wall designed speakers are better.

gasolin

I have had the Mission LX3 MK II they dissapointed in the bass not at all deep and punchy, sold them after a few weeks, they also had a bit sharpness in the upper midrange,lower tweeter.

In the area the Mackie MR524 is better (active studio monitors)

Makabura

Standard Member
The speakers are crammed in each corner. No airy sound which you get when the speakers are correctly placed in the listing room.

Perhaps wall designed speakers are better.
I agree that the placement is far from ideal, but I listened to KEF Q350 in a store and I would say that the sound was fairly similar and really good. I also did not have any noticeable problems with 3020i. But 3020i lacked a bit of bass, as expected, and q350 was not sweet enough as 3020i was. With Diamonds 12.2, maybe forward sound was due to placement, but since some people also had similar impressions, I don't think that this is only due the room. With D320 is a different story, bass reflections are terrible. I will try a bit of EQ to see what is reflected.

Also, I got to mention that the placement on the picture is the one I have most of the time, but I listened to all of the speakers pulled out so they are at least 30cm from any surface (plus I experimented with speaker axis tilt).

In this way, my aim is to look more for a sound signature where I include room limitations into my calculations. This is why I hesitate to get 3030i.

FootHealer

I agree that the placement is far from ideal, but I listened to KEF Q350 in a store and I would say that the sound was fairly similar and really good. I also did not have any noticeable problems with 3020i. But 3020i lacked a bit of bass, as expected, and q350 was not sweet enough as 3020i was. With Diamonds 12.2, maybe forward sound was due to placement, but since some people also had similar impressions, I don't think that this is only due the room. With D320 is a different story, bass reflections are terrible. I will try a bit of EQ to see what is reflected.

Also, I got to mention that the placement on the picture is the one I have most of the time, but I listened to all of the speakers pulled out so they are at least 30cm from any surface (plus I experimented with speaker axis tilt).

In this way, my aim is to look more for a sound signature where I include room limitations into my calculations. This is why I hesitate to get 3030i.
If you are pulling the speakers out 30cm, the 3030i should be fine, as far as I can tell :)

gasolin

If you are pulling the speakers out 30cm, the 3030i should be fine, as far as I can tell :)
That 63cm thats alot, use foam plugs instead

Makabura

Standard Member

That 63cm thats alot, use foam plugs instead

This is how it looks when pulled out (picture, now there is 25cm space at the back of the speakers) . Bass is mudded due to room definetly. If I get close to a corner of a wall, bass is boomy. And just specific frequencies have a problem. I will try to find them.
Maybe the same I could do with 3030i if there will be a problem.

Attachments

• 1645987746113229471053219596533.jpg
    1645987746113229471053219596533.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 63

gasolin

This is how it looks when pulled out (picture, now there is 25cm space at the back of the speakers) . Bass is mudded due to room definetly. If I get close to a corner of a wall, bass is boomy. And just specific frequencies have a problem. I will try to find them.
I was think about the 3030i if they where to much just use the foam plugs

Last edited:

gasolin

It does help

FootHealer

That looks better to me :) Again, I found the Wharfedale 12s boomy in my setup and the 3030i, even though it goes lower, doesn't boom. Go figure! I think there is a good change you'll be alright if you use them like this and use the bungs or EQ in the other position.

Helix Hifi

Slim floor standing speakers we’ll probably work then. I don’t believe you’ll have any issues now.

Get 3030i floor standing speakers. If not you can return them.

Helix Hifi

Bass bungs is most of the time not necessarily, only if you have bass boom issues.

It also makes the sound too clean sounding, like it adjust the bass, treble -1db.

I never use them.

Makabura

Standard Member
In my experience, using the port bungs on the 3030i helps reduce the bass output but messes with the midrange. I'd avoid the bungs if possible. Perhaps EQ would be better?
I will try with EQ before using plugs. That makes sense, since also just some frequencies get boomy, not all the bass.

Slim floor standing speakers we’ll probably work then. I don’t believe you’ll have any issues now.

Get 3030i floor standing speakers. If not you can return them.

Sadly I cannot get floor-standing speakers and return them. I will get 3020i, which I can return, and will compare them to D320 that I have at the moment. If I would like 3020i better I will either return them and go for 3030i or I will keep them but add a sub later on.

What do you both think?

Helix Hifi

I will try with EQ before using plugs. That makes sense, since also just some frequencies get boomy, not all the bass.

Sadly I cannot get floor-standing speakers and return them. I will get 3020i, which I can return, and will compare them to D320 that I have at the moment. If I would like 3020i better I will either return them and go for 3030i or I will keep them but add a sub later on.

What do you both think?
Sorry, not following you. Why not get the 3030i first then see. 3030i are floor standing speakers.

Most people probably well say subwoofer, with 3020i. Bass response is room independent. It’s difficult to tell exactly what you like.

If you like earth shattering bass, then subwoofer is the obvious choice. I don’t necessarily think laidback jazz needs subwoofer, more hip hop, dub step.

Makabura

Standard Member
Sorry, not following you. Why not get the 3030i first then see. 3030i are floor standing speakers.

Most people probably well say subwoofer, with 3020i. Bass response is room independent. It’s difficult to tell exactly what you like.

If you like earth shattering bass, then subwoofer is the obvious choice. I don’t necessarily think laidback jazz needs subwoofer, more hip hop, dub step.
I cannot get 3030i and return them if I don't like them. I can do that with 3020i. And I want to compare them with D320 (I had 3020i half a year ago and maybe my memory is a bit deceiving me into thinking that Q Acoustics sound is better than D320).
3030i is not a floor-standing speaker, 3050i are.

I like a bass hit yes:) so maybe sub is a reasonable idea. Do I get a more controlled bass with sub right? I can reposition it and change crossover and intensity. Or is it hard to integrate the sound?

dogfonos

Get 3030i floor standing speakers

3030i are floor standing speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand