1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In search for a 20" Lcd - please help a stressed buyer!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by zera, Sep 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. zera

zera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I realise you must (like any forum) get alot of these questions, so sorry in advance. I am about to tear my hair out trying to find a suitable lcd, Sales assistants in shops have no clue and google isnt helping me too much either. So after several days of searching I'm here. :)

My girlfriend and I are moving in together in a few weeks and want a new tv.
    We're on a budget but also will pay a bit more for the quaility.

We want;

• A 20" LCD (anywhere from 20 -23 really but with budget in mind, but if the Tv for us is 21" so be it)
    • HD-Ready, so HDcp compliant as well (my two days of searching have taught me new words ;) )
    • So obviously a Dvi or similar alternative input
    • A good responce time (for games etc. I was looking at less than 16ms really I think)
    • An RGB Scart
    • My laptop has a Dvi-i output so am I right in assuming that I won't need a 'pc input' as such as long as it has a dvi-i input or an hdmi?
    • As for widescreen or standard, I haven't decided yet, I like widescreen for movies and standard for games, I think I'm leaning towards widescreen but leave it up to you

Thanks for that. As I said we are on a budget, so as long it has the above features choose the lower end of the scale :)

Cheers for your help Im so fed up looking, as soon as you find one that seems okay you find it doesnt have everything you want :(

Steve

2. zera

zera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no help?

3. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Might take a bit more than 13 minutes mate... ;)

You specify that you're on a budget, but don't say what that budget is? Prices of LCDs, even in the same size can vary wildly.

The Samsung 23" should be a good set, but I'm not sure if it has HDMI or not.

DVI/HDMI are not good for use with a PC, generally they will only accept video signals, not computer signals, and will not look sharp enough to be used as a monitor. You'll need one with a VGA input and support for 1:1 mapping.

Widescreen is definitely the way to go; most games are widescreen these days, and the next generation of consoles (starting with the Xbox 360) are required to have widescreen support, and will run in 720p. (X360 games are not required to support 4:3, they may just be letterboxed)

You really want 12ms or less for games. The new Sony S series sounds like it would be a good choice, but I don't know how much you're looking to spend. (they're on the more expensive side) The Sony "V" series LCDs are even better, but I'm pretty sure they'll be out of your price range.

4. zera

zera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the reply,

It was 1 day and 15 minutes if you look :)

As for the budget, well a local electronics store gives my mother a discount. On this ocassion they have offered to sell it for what they buy it in for. So my money will hopefully go a little further. Comparing it to one set they offered us with the net, Im expecting just a bit under 100 off the tv's retail.

So well I guess 300-500, but most preferably the lower end. So in reality maybe 400-550 maybe?

I think I will have to compromise on the response time as I think a quick one will be out of my budget. But if anyone can suggest a suitable screen I will be very happy!

edit: The Philips 23PF5320/01 caught my eye, price is good. Contrast not so at 450:1 and the responce is 16ms. Will it be too slow?
    I have seen sets in shops that would drive me round the wall but none quote response times so they could be 25 for all I know

5. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Oh, sorry! My mistake. :oops: I must have missed it being posted yesterday.

Philips seem to quote "true" response times, not "peak" ones, but even if this is the case it *might* be too slow for games. You would have to go somewhere and demo it to be sure.

From looking at the German Samsung site (the UK one is hopelessley outdated) it seems that the LE23R(41/51)B do have HDMI. It is 800:1 contrast, 500cd/m2 brightness, and 12ms. I have seen it online for £500 or less, so it should hopefully fit into your budget, especially with a discount.

I have the 32" and it copes very well with games if given a progressive signal. (Xbox or US/JP Gamecube) Gaming with an interlaced signal is "ok" but that's the same situation on any LCD.

It looks like the Sony "S" Series is not suitable, as the website says that only the 26" and above are "HD Ready" :( These panels are 1000:1 contrast, and I believe have an 8ms response time. But judging from the site, they have HDMI removed from the smaller display.

6. zera

zera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so I understand that alot of hd boxes like sky and dvd player will need to be connected to an hdcp compliant tv?
    Am I right in thinking that dvi can come as non compliant and compliant but all hdmi tv's are compliant and if not do you know if the samsung you mentioned is?

I have to say from what you said it sounds like a nice screen, I will have a quick search for it.

Thanks for your help :)

edit: been trying to work out the german site, does it have RGB scart? It does look pretty nice

7. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Yes, it does have RGB SCART. :) DVI can be compliant or not, most are now. HDMI is also optional, but every single HDMI port out there just now supports it.

8. zera

zera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you guarantee that? :D

Thanks for the help, most kind. Im back at home tomorrow so will get the local place to look that model up.

:)