1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In over my head....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by makas, Feb 24, 2005.

1. makas

makas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Need a little advice and guidance.

I have started to put together my home cinema package ready for my new home.

So far

Plasma screen ( Hitachi) ive had this for a while

Denon AVC 1SR
    Denon DVD A1

Speakers - Is where it has all gone a little wrong... I wanted a set that are as good at musical reproduction as home cinema so i went for Nautilus 804 fronts to use in stereo for my music collection as well as surround and Kef TDM34 rears THX certified. I havent got the sub or centre yet they are next on the list. Im more concerned that people are telling me you should only buy speakers that are matched, not from different manufacturer's.. Is this the case or are the fears unsubstantiated.. Before you ask i cant listen for myself as im not moving in till next wednesday and want to have the system complete before then..... :lease:

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +857
    Hi

In an ideal world they would all match but that's not always possible in reality. If the surrounds can't be matched then at the very least make sure the front three match. This is important if you want seamless front pans etc. You may find the Kef THX speakers work well as they are relatively neutral sounding. Personally, I would try and use B&W speakers all around if you can.

3. tpc3416

tpc3416

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Makas,

With your set up, getting a good center would be fine, even if it's not from the same mfg. Try and keep the tweeters as closely matched as possible. If you were buying lower end speakers, I'd say to get them all from the same manufacturer for timbre matching. You wouldn't want horns in the front, and silk domes in the rear. Your surround sound would really need tweaked as to not overpower the soft domes with horns. Totally different sound. The center channel is your most important speaker with movies, so demo as many as you can with a familiar cd and dvd.

4. makas

makas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THANKS FOR THE HELP.

Didnt reaslise the centre was the most important, thought it might be the left and right - Nautilus is pretty damn expensive :eek:

Oh well at least it will sound good.

Have you got any cabling Manufacturer recommendations?

CHeers

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +857
    The Centre speaker handles a large majority (up to 80%) of the soundtrack of a DVD (dialogue etc) so is indeed the most important speaker. It's also important that it should match the left and right speakers if possible. A seamless front soundstage makes for a more engaging performance as you don't get a tonal shift as sound moves around.

As for cables, check out the cable Power Buys of this Forum. Forum member Mark Grant makes them and they are very good indeed. He'll also do speaker cables if you ask him. :)