In/out of phase??

NinjaKi11a

Standard Member
Reaction score
In phase, out of phase, bipoles, dipoles - all abit confusing.

As you can see from my sig, I'm using 771e s as rear speakers. I appreciate that these aren't ideal for surround sound movies, but I just read that wiring speakers 'out of phase' is a good idea for films - what exactly does this involve please and can I do it? I have absolutely no interest in multi-channel music.

Cheers,

Pete

Originally posted by SansSouci
I just read that wiring speakers 'out of phase' is a good idea for films

You're reading the wrong things as some people will spout all sorts of tripe so leave them exactly as they are for the best results.

In phase, out of phase, bipoles, dipoles - all abit confusing.
Dipoles - the signal from the amp is split to two drive units, one get's the signal as +-, the other one as -+. Therefore they move in opposite directions when a signal is applied. That's called out of phase (180 degree) and should create a more diffuse sound together with the reflections from the walls.

Bipoles - imagine the same speaker but both drive units get the signal with the same polarity.
Therefore they both move into the same direction. That's called in phase (0 degree) - while the drivers now do not create a diffuse sound the reflections still cause the ambience compared to a normal, direct radiating ('monopole') speaker.

Perhaps bipoles can be regarded as a good compromise between dipoles and normal speakers (the latter probably better for multi-channel music), though in the end it's a matter of personal preference.
Also note that there are speakers which can be switched between different -pole modes.

Wiring the actual speakers (rather than the drive units inside) out of phase is no good. :nono:

Ah ha cheers for the advice! They shall remain how they are. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom