• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

In need of some recommendations!

StewieEatWorld

Standard Member
Right, my 37" Samsung 3D LED TV has went on the blink (long story, no warranty etc etc - who's the dumbass), so now i'm in the market for a new one. I am totally out of the loop of the new 2014 models, and what is a good price point for what i'm looking for with regards to 2013/older models. After having my old TV, I now realise I couldn't care less for 3D or the Smart features. I just want the best possible picture and quality for my buck.

So, here's what I would be looking for:

Size - Around the 46" - 50" mark.
Type - LED.
3D - Not fussed.
Smart Features - Not fussed.
DLNA - Would be nice! (WiFi if possible, but at least an Ethernet port)
ARC - Highly preferred, but not super essential.
HDMI - 2 minimum.
USB - Not essential, but I would prefer it.
Low input lag would be great as it would mainly be used for gaming.
Price - £500 (if im lucky, I know...) to around £800.
And of course, a fantastic picture quality!

Any recommendations would be fantastic and greatly appreciated. Thanks!

StewieEatWorld

Standard Member
No reviews of this yet, but here is the 2014 range Panasonic TX-50AS500B 50 inch Smart LED TV - £700 | 5 year warranty. John Lewis / Richer Sounds will probably price-match. DLNA, ARC, 2x HDMI, 1x USB.
Many thanks for the reply!

New Panasonic TV's look very nice.
I see RicherSounds have this Sony KDL50W656 that appears to tick all the boxes. Is there much advantage in going for a newer 2014 model and forking out the extra dosh, rather than models from last year?

Ossie77

Established Member
I quite like the look of the new Samsung UE48H6400. At £699 with a 5 year guarantee from Richer Sounds its only £100 more than last years F6400 which is £599 in the Curry's sale. Seems as though 4k is driving the cost of 1080p sets down. Hurray!

Samsung UE48H6400 | 48 inch 3D LED Smart TV 1080p HD Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

Samsung have obviously just sent the TV to all of the main AV review sites as a lot of reviews have just gone online;

Samsung UE40H6400 (H6400) Review

Samsung H6400 3D LED LCD TV Review | AVForums

Samsung UE40H6400 6 Series TV review - Pocket-lint

Samsung UE40H6400 review | Televisions Reviews | TechRadar

It has been really well received in all of these reviews. What interests me the most is that the H6400 is direct lit. This means a nice uniform screen. The F5000 from last year is direct lit and has a very even backlight but it doesn't have great motion processing. Seems as though Samsung have moved things on again. I think the 48" screen size is also a huge bonus.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom