In need of some inspiration

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by zero7, Jan 31, 2014.

1. zero7

zero7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Need the collective inspiration from AV Forums... I had a dedicated room with fixed screen and projector in my old house, run some M&K 150's on stands that perched nicely under the fixed Beemax screen. Served me well for 6 years.

New house, no dedicated room so my nice lounge will need to double up as Movie Room and Family Lounge.

Attached a couple of pics, room is nice and big, it's square at 20ft x 20ft. You can see where my 52" Plasma is currently sitting, on top of my BDI AV unit. This gives you some indication of scale in the room.

Really want a screen and PJ for that big movie feel, a big plasma is no substitute for me. My thoughts are use the space between the two windows to mount this, or another plasma, perhaps a 65" as the wall is nearly 7ft (82") wide. I would look at building it out and in-fixing the plasma. Thoughts then turn to the PJ Screen which I could have behind a false IMG_0219.jpg IMG_0220.jpg IMG_0221.jpg IMG_0222.jpg that looks like the coving but extended out to hide an electronic screen.

The dado rail that goes around the room would go and I can either fix some MP150's to that wall in-between the windows or fix in some in walls. The sofa on that side would go and I could have my BDI unit under there.

Will be carpeting the room as not keen on wooden floors, got two other rooms on ground floor with wooden floors.

IMG_0219.jpg

Any thoughts?

2. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Sounds like a good plan - probably exactly what I would do myself if I was going down the projector route.

3. zero7

zero7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    More of a panoramic view of the room.

lounge pan.jpg

4. 10crazyfists

10crazyfists
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    That's a pretty forgiving room shape for living/home cinema. Love that fireplace a lot. Have you considered in ceiling speakers. They have come a long way in terms of home cinema audio. I would build a bulkhead and install the screen in there. If you have the space in the floor above mount the projector in a lift. Its what my plans are when I have the budget for it.

Right now its taking a long time just to get anything saved :)

5. zero7

zero7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Cheers, really after getting the best sound possible so rules out in-ceiling speakers, so probably looking at on wall MP150's or in-wall equivalent. with some sides and rears on the back wall. Don't have the space in between the ceiling and floor boards so may look at a projector on a shelf instead in the back wall.

6. zero7

zero7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Until I get my project off the ground, I would like to set-up my M&K S-150's up, I think the LR can be squeezed next to the AV unit but I'm just out of ideas where I could put the centre channel...