In need of an upgrade - speakers and amp

Dec1an

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

first post on here so please bare with me!

in need of a bit of advice.
I plan to upgrade my current speakers and amp and have an idea of what to get, but would like a bit of input and some thoughts/possible alternatives. Budget of around £600 but can stretch if needs be.

Current system-
-Pro-ject debut carbon DC (Ortofon blue)
-Marantz pm4200 amp
Q acoustics 3020 on matching stands mounts.
-speaker cable - qed silver anni.
-Sonos connect

Requirements for new system

amp- must have dac (ideally 2 optical inputs but not the end of the world if 1). phono stage and ability to connect a headphone amp or- have a decent phono amp built in.

speakers- floorstands, be able to fill a 12x15.5ft room. (will be along 12 ft wall about 5 footapart from each other).Currently not getting bass that I would like from my current system hence floorstands. However, I’m not a basshead so nothing too boomy.

current thoughts-
marantz Pm6006 (has dac, I have heard the 6005 with the qa 3020 and provided a sound I liked)

Fyne F302 floorstands- offer reasonable bass, but not too bassy, and provide good clarity. Seems to have been recommended several times with the Marantz (not just by what hifi). Also, aesthetically pleasing (please the wife).
I listen to a wide variety of music from led zeppelin, to Lana del Rey to dr Dre etc. So after an all rounder really. Will also be using Sonos to stream as well as plugging in my tv and blu ray player.

*i have also considered spending the extra £300 and opting for the Audiolab 6300a amp, but is this overkill for the Fynes?

For wife friendly operation and easy use with a TV why not consider the Marantz NR1200? The HDMI ARC connection provides the digital interface and auto power switching (TV on = Amp on automatically, TV off = Amp off, etc.).

The Monitor Audio Bronze 5 and Dali Spektor 6 should also be on your audition list.

Thanks. The wife is pretty tech savvy so no issues with connecting etc. However, it does tick a few more boxes that I had y thought of- Bluetooth out for headphones may be a bonus as well as ARC.
Have you heard nr1200?

If you like your current setups sound but just want better pm6006 and qa 3050

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom