In need of advice on buying a second hand Canon 5D Mark II

lamialex

Standard Member
Hello,

I'm looking into upgrading my Canon 40D to Canon 5D Mark II so I've been looking at the second hand ones on here, Gumtree and Ebay.
I found this one on Gumtree which seems ok but I'm wondering if it does look like a good deal:
Canon 5d Mark2 body only mint condition in Cambridge | Digital Cameras for Sale | Gumtree.com

Here are some more details I got about the camera:
20000 actuations
3 years old
I also comes with a battery and a charger.

Any comment on this would be very helpful :)
Thanks!!!
Alexandra

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
I'd be put off by the minimal description and lack of any actual photos of the camera itself, the description also seems strange that they say how it's been used so much and in need of service yet only 20,000 exposures? I'm perhaps overly cautious but it seems suspicious and not that cheap for a camera which has apparently had a lot of use when you can get a brand new one with warranty for 1500.

John

Jammyb

Good price if you can collect and check it out. Seller probably mentioning sensor dust in the interest of full disclosure where others perhaps wouldn't.

shotokan101

Banned
Make sure you take a lens and memory card along to check that sensor out - Only about £1500 new from Jessops BTW

EDIT: Apologies John - just saw that you'd posted a price earlier

Last edited:

lamialex

Standard Member
Thanks for your opinions on this.
I'm ckecking the camera on Tuesday and will definitely look at it carefully. The ad was indeed a bit too short...
I found this on internet about checking second hand DSLR:
A Guide to Buying Used DSLR Gear
Was wondering if anything should be added to this?
I bought my 40D here on AVForum a few years ago and I was very happy with it but I trust AVForum more than Gumtree...

jradley

How desperate are you to make the upgrade ? .....

If you can wait a month or two it is highly likely that the 5DMkIII will be announced. I'm not sure what effect that will have on the new and second hand prices of the MkII's (possibly none whatsoever until they actually start shipping the MkIII) but eventually I would anticipate the price of the MkII's to drop.

With regards to the specific camera you link to - it could well be 100% legit, but I have to wonder if it was being used in a studio environment and needs a sensor clean why not just clean it ? If it really is in mint condition and perhaps some room for negotiation on the price then it's probably not a bad deal, but I would shop around a bit too.

Don't forget, if you do take a lens to test teh camera with, it will need to be an EF, not EF-S.

Cheers,

John

Jammyb

I'm not expecting the MkIII to make much difference to price unless you get a bargain as the big players clear shelves. the MkI is still selling for £700 used. The mkiii is likely to be well over £2k at launch so the mkii still fits in price wise.

lamialex

Standard Member
I did think about the MkIII which I've been waiting for ages to be honest but a friend told me exactly the same as Jammyb and it's true that the MkI still sells for quite a lot of money considering.

Thanks for all the other tips!!!
I'll take my own memory card for sure. The seller is bringing a lens.

simonblue

Distinguished Member
I did think about the MkIII which I've been waiting for ages to be honest but a friend told me exactly the same as Jammyb and it's true that the MkI still sells for quite a lot of money considering.

Thanks for all the other tips!!!
I'll take my own memory card for sure. The seller is bringing a lens.

Hope it goes ok,i would start at about the £950 mark and see how it goes.

As for waiting for the MKII,prices to drop due to MKIII,wont be for a while yet :)

lamialex

Standard Member
Hey there,
I just had a look at the camera, it looked in very good condition. I took some pictures and now going to check them out. I did the f22 test and could already see 2 black dust on the sensor but the guy confirmed it needed a clean. How much does that cost? He said Canon does the first sensor clean for free, is that true?
I checked actuations with a software and it said 44000, the guy was surprised but he hadn't checked it himself. Is that still ok? Should I get the price down because of that?
Such a beautiful camera!! I'm in love :)
Thanks for all your help :)

hiker

Banned
my friend recently return from m/east with 5d2 & 112k actuations, it was still operating neat, however the main shutter button was inconsistent with many times depress half way & no AF operate , would merely take foto @ half way, this problem commenced @ 50k approx, she sold to colleague for 800 euro with crack lcd also & many marks @ body so ..

we have had four 5d2's 2 have had this similar problem(&repair) & most @ 40k +, also had two 40D which had same problem shutter button which were repair @ canon under warranty free :~)

you can always purchase sony [-]tv[/-] dslr, they are pretty aesthetics with wonderful screens & so lovely colours rich & beautiful, you can also use as ornament in lounge :~)

Last edited:

jradley

The shutter itself I think is rated for 150,000 actuations, so unless you intend on using it a lot having 40k actuations already is unlikely to be a real issue.

The shutter button is a potential issue though... I was aware of this on the 40D, and it seems from what Hiker says above that they used the same button on the 5DMkii. I would be inclined to do some reaearch on this - phone round some service centres and see what they would charge to replace the button - it may be around £100. Also phone Canon and ask if they would do it under warranty as it appears to be a known problem. Gather evidence from the internet about the issue and combined with the estimated repair cost see if the seller may negotiate a bit on the sale price perhaps. Unless a repair is hideously expensive I don't think it would put me off from purchasing that particular camera though.

With regards to sensor cleaning, rather than pay someone else to do it I would invest in the kit to do it yourself - do a search on this forum for sensor cleaning and you get lots of info. It is worth investing in a loupe so you can see the sensor properly and then swabs and cleaning solution is relatively cheap. Or just shoot at wide apertures and you'll never notice the dust anway :devil:

Cheers,

John

lamialex

Standard Member
A little update on this.
I've have managed to get the camera for £1000 so hopefully tomorrow I will have a Canon 5D Mark II if everything goes smooth. It seems like a good prive to me considering what's been saif here and what I could find on Ebay and Gumtree.

I have a 40D and indeed last year I had that problem with the shutter button. Very annoying but with some research on Google, I managed to find a way to fix it myself, just a bit of cleaning and it is working perfectly now. It wasn't easy I have to say and I can't believe they are using the same button for the 5D Mark II. Thanks for pointing this out but I should prepared now if it happens to me :D

Now I need to buy a lens...

senu

Distinguished Member
A little update on this.
I've have managed to get the camera for £1000 so hopefully tomorrow I will have a Canon 5D Mark II if everything goes smooth. It seems like a good prive to me considering what's been saif here and what I could find on Ebay and Gumtree.

I have a 40D and indeed last year I had that problem with the shutter button. Very annoying but with some research on Google, I managed to find a way to fix it myself, just a bit of cleaning and it is working perfectly now. It wasn't easy I have to say and I can't believe they are using the same button for the 5D Mark II. Thanks for pointing this out but I should prepared now if it happens to me :D

Now I need to buy a lens...
Well done hope it goes well
Did you have to open the 40D? seems very hard I have a similar problem and the 7D is looking attractive

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom