In market for excellent surround headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by jwvdo, Jul 31, 2012.

1. jwvdo

jwvdo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Wanted some help. Here is my problem space:

Have a full surround system in my home office (powered by an Onkyo TR-NX1009) and wonderful Q7000 speakers. My wife and I want to watch BluRay and DVDs in DTS (and DTS-HD) and equivalents without waking our Kids.

I've looked at the Astra A50s but they don't do a set that can slave two headphones from the same output source (A40s can do it though, one TX can serve 4 RXs but I'm concerned they're all hype and no substance).

I heard the Tritton AX Pros are good, but don't know about slaving them.

I also read in this forum that the Sony MDR-DS6500s are supposed to be good.

I've also read that surround headphones are no better than decent headphones that are specifically tailored to movie watching.

Need some advice here - and budgets can go as high as £300 per heaphone.

Jeroen

2. noisemaker

noisemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If movie watching is your main use, i'd go with beyerdynamic models such as the DT770 Pro 80. They have the bass and soundstage needed to enjoy a movie/some games.

3. jwvdo

jwvdo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the post.

I take it that headphone set is 2 channel - is the soundstage spatial with just two drivers?

I have never owned surround headphones, so I guess I'd be naive in thinking that it is equivalent to listening to two speakers instead of 7.1 as I do now?

Are "true" 7.1 headphones a waste of money? Better investing in a set of "normal" but high end headphones?

4. daytona600

daytona600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    agree stick to real 2 channel headphones from the usual suspects sennheiser akg grado AT
    any decent headphones need a decent headphone amp most headphone sockets on amps/recievers are generally pretty crap compared to a good headphone amp

5. noisemaker

noisemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Surround headphones and such things are a gimmick, and yes you'll get a good soundstage/positioning with a 2 channel headphone.

6. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Just got the Sony MDR-DS6500s and they sound great :smashin:. Immersive surround sound with both analogue and digital inputs.

As mentioned, I agree that if you want audio hi-fi sound, I'd stay away from wifi surround headphones as they all get pasted by any equivalent priced "normal" headphones via amp.

So for Hi-Fi I would go the Stereo Headphones + Headphone Amp route.

However, if you want "surround sound flying around your head" as in good effects primarily for TV/movies/games use as opposed to Hi-Fi use, the Sonys sound great. Watching the Jaws DVD with DTS soundtrack I was surprised at how good they sounded.

So for TV/Movies/Gaming I would go the (+/- Wi-Fi) Surround Sound headphones which have their own amp/processor route.

...but I wouldn't use those surround sound headphones for Hi-Fi.

7. noisemaker

noisemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The MDR-DS6500's seems interesting..wonder how they compare with the sennheiser RS line of headphones?

8. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Just got a pair of Senny Rs120ii for my mum who mainly wants a clear audible voice for night time TV rather than special effects, and the Sony's sound far superior (although admittedly the Sony's RRP at about 4x more expensive so whaddyaexpect :D).