In-law's Grundig DTT box missing channels ... caused by Top Up?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by StooMonster, Aug 10, 2004.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Since Top Up started my in-law's Grundig DTT box no longer receives ITV2; or indeed ITV1, Channel 4, Channel 5 but they use analogue for those anyway?

Can you get old people out of the habit of going for analogue 14:9 signal rather than digital 16:9 on their widescreen sets? "But you've got to have BBC ONE on channel 1!". :rolleyes:

Anyway, anyone got any ideas how they can get ITV2 back, and the other channels (in case I can ever persuade them to ignor the analogue channels).

:lease:

StooMonster (who knows nothing about DTT)

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    There were a few boxes that lost channels when TUTV started, I believe it was simply down to their design and the number of channels that could store in memory. They were built for Freeview and DTT was never expected to carry so many channels this early after it was launched.

I am not sure if every manufacturer commited themselves to software upgrades to handle more channels but it does seem common for some to wash their hands once new models are released.

Maybe a fresh install and channel rescan would pick up the channels again.

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Is this something that would be in in-laws manual?

Or is there a well known key-press thing like Sky?

Or in "set-up" menus? (is there common GUI for DTT?)

The box isn't really that old either, and they're in the Granada region.

StooMonster

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I assume the procedure to wipe the current settings and do a fresh/virgin install should be in the manual, they are in my Philips manual. I would also expect that a simple channel/frequency rescan should be pretty obvious option in the onscreen setup menu.
    There is no universal procedure though, DTT/Freeview boxes are very much designed on a manufacturer by manufacturer basis, good for technological advancement to grab market share but bad for a common base so a user can use box A and box B within seconds of switching them on:)