1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In ear headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by kopite, Sep 3, 2005.

1. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hiya,

i`ve just got a psp but the supplied headphones as well as being white are also crap.

So i`m after a new set. I have been told sony fontopias are good but i wanna know what are good as well. price isnt too important although 100 Quid would be a bit excessive

2. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well, a budget would be helpful. Does price important but not excessive include £55?

If so then shure e2c at mobile fun, no question about it!

3. sound_05

sound_05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For £50 you can get the Sennheiser IE4's. They would go well with the PSP as well!

If you are looking foe whute headphones that out do the PSP ones, try the MX500 whites. For 20 quid you can't go wrong.

4. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dont want white ones.

55 quid doesnt sound too excessive if the phones are good.

5. multiply

multiply

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I also endorse the Shure E2c. I recently bought the more-expensive E3c and really regret it. My 2cs were stolen, so I replaced them with the 'better ones' - big mistake!!

For the money, the E2cs are excellent.

6. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For your intended use i would recommend the sony fonotopia type (Ex71) you can pick them up for £20 on the web or £34 in the highstreet. Bass response is good and are cheaper than the schure e2c, I have owned both and went back to the sony due the the shures being a bit oversized, fiddly and poor bass response.

7. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would also use them with my sony minidisc as well.

I`ve heard a few ppl say the fontopias are good.

8. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also use my sony ex71,s with my sharp minidisc and they are equally as good, nice a light even although cable and build quality arnt the best, but certainly good for the money

9. dj_johnnyg

dj_johnnyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not fully on-topic, but here we go...

Would a 3rd party headphone (i.e. not the crap white sony efforts) allow higher volume levels?

It's just playing Lumines at full volume, I could still hear the missus' TV program. The game loses most of its atmosphere when you can hear Cockneys shouting at each other in the background!

10. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    You need isolation headphones like the shures :cool:

11. Funky

Funky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Not many people talk about the Philips SHE9501 In-Ear Headphone! I think they are pretty good for the PSP. Very AMAZING!! For $30 with shipping you'll never find a better set of canalphones than these. I was using the Sony EX71's for almost two years, thinking they were great. After using these, I can't believe I actually liked the Sony's. If your looking for a great set of canalphones for all types of music, the SHE9501's are just what the doctor ordered!

Rating=10 :thumbsup:

12. riverpug

riverpug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah?! You might be having a problem with sealing, since E2's tips are the only ones different from the rest of Shures. All those IEMs need a good seal in your ear cannal to do what they're meant to do. When I get a new one, I usually spend about a week fiddling with it till I get it just right. A bit annoying really, but the benefit outweighs in the end. Getting a different type would mean going through that process all over again, so you are bound to find your older one better.

Anyway, I too think E2c is good for PSP at low cost.

13. PAUL250268

PAUL250268

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,

I have a Sony HD NW5 Walkman and think that the sound quality of the supplied heaphones is O.K.

However, after a few hours they make my ears "ache" a little.

Is going for the Shure EC2's going to solve this or do you think I need some "proper" headphons like the PX250?

14. cu3ed

cu3ed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    firstlky i got the Ec2's a month back, best headphone chioce i have made in a long time, i couldnt be happier with them (and i mean that).

Paul, as i said i think the E2cs are great, but, the fitting i have is hit and miss with poeple, the ear bud fits quite deeply into the ear canal itself, nowi find this comfortable, and considering you get three different ear bud materials, that come with 3 different sizes in each, you should find one that suits your ear, although , nearly all will recommend the foam earbuds, very comfy in the ears.

While the PVC ones are alittle like torture devices, i use the silicon ones (i think), they are durable, yet comfortable.

15. riverpug

riverpug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I've heard many complain about that "ache" with sony's stock earbuds. It seems to be mainly because of that eggy shape it has, and while its designed to lock into your ear's inner rim (hence the egg shape), that actually gets painful after a while because it digs into your skin.

IEMs like Shure and Etymotic (like E2C) are double edged sword. In some ways they're better for comfort, because once you find a good foam (Westone one is good), they are very comfortable. Good foams are as soft as baby's bottom, you squeeze it and push into your ear and it expands and sits softly coushioned in your ear canal.

The only problem is, though, you will find that uncomfortable till you get used to it, simply because you aren't used to having things stuck in your ear. We are by nature designed to reject foreign objects entering our ears, for safety reasons. It takes some getting used to. In this regard, "normal" earbuds like your sony's is more natural because it doesn't go inside.

Suffice to say, I like IEMs better than the likes of sony's stock earbuds, for comfort alone. If the likes of E2C is not to your taste, you might want to consider a little less threatening ones. Not as good, but they are quite a few out there and they feel more like a normal earbud.

Popular ones are sony's fontopia series, Panasonic HJE ones (HJE-50 if I'm not mistaken), JVC makes one too (HA FX something or rather, though some say it uses the same components as Panasonic due to their internal relationship) and often-overlooked Philips SHE 9500 or 9501. Personally I don't know JVC one.

Bear in mind though, the real benefit of the likes of Shure and Etymotic is that they do provide great isolation from the outside world. Lesser ones don't, or do very little.

16. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I'm going to go against the grain somewhat here. I recommended some Shure E2C's to my friend after recommendations all over the internet.... you cant go wrong, thought I.

Anyway, he got them and I have since listenened to them several times from several different sources (Creative 20Gb Zen Touch, iRiver H320, iPod Shuffle) and compared them to my JVC HA-FX55 (£25 from Argos).

In comparison to the JVC's, they do isolate better and the build quality is clearly better. However, the JVC's are easier to use, far more comfortable, and the sound quality is probably no worse, at least out of those portables. The only problem with them is, getting them to stay in your ears properly. They arent too bad now I'm used to them, but they could be better in this respect.

Basically what I'm saying is I'm not really sure that the E2C's are all they are cracked up to be, and if they are, then its not readily evident from a portable source, and if one is going to use them with a home source, then I'd say one wouldnt buy IEM's anyway, as full sized headphones definitely sound better pound for pound than IEM's.