In-ear headphones (Sure or Klipsch) up to £70 for iPod Touch 64GB

P Adams

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for in-ear headphones to replace the standard earbuds that came with my iPod touch 64GB

Has anyone got any recommendations for anything that won't go over £60, maybe up to £70 if needed? ('wife cap' on that!):devil:

I have narrowed down to a few that were reviewed in What HiFi

Sure S110
Sure 115s
Sure SE102s
Klipsch Image S4

Apart from those if there are any in the price range...

One thought is that I don't particularly like the way some phones have you placing the cables over your ears. Can anyone suggest any that would hang at the front? I don't know if all the above are like that?

Thanks in advance

Shures have an excellent reputation, but the one time i tried Klipsch, i found them more comfy in the ears...

any of these will probably be fine, and there do seem to be some deals on the lower end Shures at the moment - which may swing matters!

I use Shure SE530's with my 64GB Touch, but I did buy some Apple in-ear with remote dual driver ones for around £55 and there quite good plus have the benefit of the microphone & click controls which are essential for the Touch in my opinion especially when out&about/exercising/voice control.

I have the Shure iPhone adapter for my Shures which also have the remote & mic (no volume control).

Obviously not as good as the SE530's but a significant step-up from the include earphones. Also, standard "hang at the fron" type.

A lot of people will slag them off just because their Apple brand but even some experienced people on the audiophile site Head-fi rated them as good for the price. Some hate, some love them. I found them to good myself.

If your into powerfull bass then I'd not consider the low end Shures.

Last edited:
Thanks for your good advice... I will research a little longer before making a final choice

Couldn't find anywhere in Southampton today to try in-ears (I suppose a hygiene issue) but spotted some Sure 102s for £49.99 and a pair of Sure 110s for the same price (battered box, originally £99.99 then £69.99)

I read a some reviews of the Klipsch X10s on my ipod touch while in Costa Coffee with the wife. Are they worth £120.00?:confused:

My wife spotted some Sennheiser CX300 MKIIs for 39.99 but even she said perhaps I should hold out for a better pair!:eek:

I'm a graphic designer using Macs all day so buying Apple equipment (if it's good) has never been a problem for me so the upgraded Apple phones are a possibility

Any more thoughts...

My wife spotted some Sennheiser CX300 MKIIs for 39.99 but even she said perhaps I should hold out for a better pair!:eek:

I just got mine on friday for £14.99 from Amazon (not market place).

I don't think much of CX500 if that is of any interest. Rather tinny/thin sound. I bought an ATH EC7 for £35 online and they are very good, but they have now gone up to £90 at the same shop. The Sennheiser OMX80 is quite decent IMO. And £13 at play.com.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Just ordered a set from them. Hoping they are better than the CX300II's. If not then ill give up on this type of earphone and get another pair of PX100's

I do wonder if it is harder to make an in-ear head phone of similar quality to a traditional kind e.g. PX100.

I do wonder if it is harder to make an in-ear head phone of similar quality to a traditional kind e.g. PX100.

Never tried any of the high end ones but i do prefer traditional over the head cans as they sound more natural to me.

Yes, but you need to spend a bit. My Shure SE530's (~£240) sound stunning and the high-end Westone and UE's are similar.

Yes, but you need to spend a bit. My Shure SE530's (~£240) sound stunning and the high-end Westone and UE's are similar.

:eek: So are we wasting our time with these cheaper ones i wonder.

:eek: So are we wasting our time with these cheaper ones i wonder.

:confused: Everybody hears things differently.

I don't use my SE530's when doing exercise (can't afford to trash them at that price) so use a set of Sony Ericsson HPM-77's which come with a cable for my W960i phone & a cable for a standard MP3 player and they sound great for the price. Under £10 from some places but I got a pair for around £12 from Play.com a while back. Bit bass heavy for me but pretty decent to my ears.

If you go on the Head-Fi forums you'll see audiophiles are raving about the new JH13 Pro 6 driver in-ears that cost over $1000 :eek: The SE530's have 3 drivers in each ear while sub £70 usually are a single driver.

If your interested :D JH AUDIO | Pro Music Meant to be audio heaven!

Last edited:
Thanks for that psikey. Took the plunge this afternoon... they arrive tomorrow:D

Did you get the white ones? The black ones were out of stock this morning.

Thanks for that psikey. Took the plunge this afternoon... they arrive tomorrow:D

I wasn't recommending them, just a good price compared to what they usually cost. I've only used the high-end Shures before. Leave word if there any good :smashin:

I wasn't recommending them, just a good price compared to what they usually cost. I've only used the high-end Shures before. Leave word if there any good :smashin:

No problem! For £28 I can always replace them if they aren't up to scratch:D

Yes bought the white ones:smashin:

Just been having a play with mine. Think its back to my PX100's.:(

Sound quality seems to be "different" to the CX300's. Less bass and not quite as bright but they do sound better to my ears, less harsh at least.
But its the ears im having trouble with. I want to use the foam caps but just cant get a good fit. I can tell this as there is a lack of bass. I did have them working fine, took them out and have spent the past 10mins trying to get them back in.
Its just too much hard work. As i want to use them at work i need to keep taking them out, if its going to take this long to put them back in each time i might as well not bother.
I am very weary about shoving things in my ears anyway so maybe its for the best.

I realise this is me and not the fault of the phones.

Last edited:
I don't use the sponge ones myself. I prefer the grey silicon & find them comfy with a good seal

I was fine with that type on the CX300's but the ones that come with the Shure's dont seem to fit properly.
I think i must have odd ears.

With the foams you need to roll them between your figures to squash it flat the put in ear and let it expand. You do need to be quick.

I find the silicone just as good without the hassle if you do need to take them out often

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom