1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In dispute with currys

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by davee b, Sep 15, 2005.

1. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all

I've got a currys 20 month old lcd (grundig) tv. It recently developed a fault consisting of a 5 cm wide pink/purple solid band of colour running up the entire left hand side of the screen. I contacted currys and after waiting an age amazingly they have asked me to get an engineers report then they will consider compensation !!!!!!!!!

I've tried google but with little success. Can anyone suggest where i may get an engineer to come out and do a report (i'm based in Leeds if thats any help), the likely cost and the possible cause of the problem. Cheers guys n gals :rolleyes:

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    what about extended waranty, have you got one???
    bet you will have to pay for the engineers report, it will either return, the problem was caused by electro/magnetic force caused by something you did or the set is knackered and currys will ask you to make a claim against the aforementioned waranty. good luck but i feel you are on to a loser either way, especially when you read the other posts about currys setting up demo sets,if they are not prepared to help before they get your money, i doubt they will bother once they have it. I would really like to be proved wrong in this instance, for your sake

3. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yup i know all about Currys, i've had a run in with them before. No extended warranty, i prefer to try my luck with the sale of goods act. they have said they will pay for the report if it proves to be an inherant fault, i just dont know where to get hold of a suitable engineer that doesnt charge an insane price. :rolleyes:

4. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Davee b

You have my full sympathies regarding trying to deal with Currys - or DSG Retail as they are known in court, when you end up taking them there!

I had a huge (and mean huge) battle with them last November over a Panasonic set displaying similar symptoms to your set - thing is, the set was only 12 days old !!!! I fought and fought to get my money back (which for me, by their own wording, they had to) ...but my God - they were a pathetic lying bunch of prats I can tell you. I nearly (very nearly) took them to court for wasting my time and calling me a liar etc etc..... I won't go into all the sordid details - but - needless to say I will NEVER EVER set foot inside one of their "showrooms" ever again.

Your best bet is to try the Sale of Goods Act, as 20 months is really unnaceptable - thing is, as you are probably aware, the sale of goods act mentions no actual time span for problems like this - so, I really, really think you will have a fight on your hands with them - they don't want to know at the best of times let alone something that is 20 months old (although, as I said earlier, I totally agree that it is un-acceptable).

Would it not be worth contacting a tv engineer from your local paper to see if it can be fixed easily? Might need de-guassing from the sounds of it, but this doesn't always work. Personally, as I say, based upon what Curry's have said to you, I would get an engineers report (just call someone from your local paper or something) - shouldn't be that expensive - then - dependant upon what is said, I would send that to Currys along with a request for the fee back that you paid for it.

I honestly doubt you will get anywhere with them - and I know it's not the answer you want to hear - but with my bitter experience and others I know (many others come to think of it) - I think you could be fighting with them for nothing - but I do wish you all the best with it - and try and get something out of the idiots.

Regards

Paul

5. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Your best bet would be to go via the maker of the LCD TV, I could give you the name of a good TV repair man in Leeds but you may need one that is authourised for your particular TV.
    Yellow pages under TV,VCR or search google for the manufacturer.

Nigel

6. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think its entirely dependant on the branch and the Manager. I had fantastic help in the Coventry branch with service second to none. The main reason I bought an lcd from Currys was I could get the 'Whatever happens' support for a few quid a month, then I don't worry if the TV goes belly up. Oh and the fact that I got over £300 off my TV thanks to the Manager..

7. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Do you have an extended warrenty on it? I thought you only had a leg to stand on if it was less than a year old?? :-/

8. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Guys for your thoughts. i'd contact the manufacturer (Grundig) as well but apparently they pulled out of the UK about three years ago (before the tv was even purchased).

My plan is to get the report then assuming it finds in my favour try for repair/replacement /compensation from currys. If they dont play ball then i'll try the small claims court.

I'll post back if anything exciting happens :rolleyes:

9. ADENCOOL

ADENCOOL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    They did pull out of the uk about three years ago, though currys only sold (at the time) 1 grundif set - which was a idtv, they have also gone bump since then.

but i bet you have a dsg group rebrand of a matsui (dsg group brought the licence of grundig years ago to rebrand goods as grundig), i thing dsg also own matsui

10. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry still a bit lost :-/

11. ventoboy1000

ventoboy1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Vision 2000 went bust 4 months ago, I dont know why the web site is still running.
    Nigel

13. Doctorb

Doctorb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    LCD's don't need de-guassing!

14. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for all the help people, 'tis very much appreciated :thumbsup:

15. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No luck with Jacksons, the company cant do grundig sets. Anybody know any other firms in the Leeds area who might be able to do it ?? :lease:

16. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Doctorb

No, LCD's don't need de-guassing of course.... I just omitted to see it was an LCD at the time of writing.

17. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Leeds is a big place, dont know if they do LCD but there is a place in morley.

It also depends what type of report currys want, do they just want a tv engineer to say - yes this TV is faulty or do they need a quote for price of repair from an authourised Grundig dealer - which if they have gone bust there will be none and no parts available.

I remember going out to a 42" TV just to count how many dead pixels and their position.

Nigel

18. gettingthefear

gettingthefear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    strange that - it being on the LCD Forum and all......... ;)