In Cold Blood Blu-ray Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Keith Hurst, 29th September 2009
In Cold Blood is one of these films that you stumble across every now and again and are more than glad you did so. It was interesting to see some well known faces ply their trade on the big screen. I believe this is one of Quincy Jones' better scores; with some serious swinging jazz and excellent themes towards the end of the feature. Brooks has only really ever done better in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and although he was derided a little for the use of locations and props in the film it still has to be said that In Cold Blood is slightly unusual for its time, a little ground breaking and worthy of being selected for 'preservation' in the US National Film Registry.

Good character acting from Blake, Wilson and Forsythe coupled with good video and an excellent audio track make this Region free UK disc worthy of picking up and adding to your collection. It's a film I will happily go back to and watch time and again, still gaining enjoyment from each and every scene contained within it.

As a set it's obviously let down by the lack of extras and as a story it's simply clamouring out for some good bonus material to be included on there. Because of that then the overall score drops a little, even though I still heartily recommend this tale of woe.
Read the full review...

bosque

Distinguished Member
Good review, Keith. Is this for sale in the UK ? I can't see it listed with either playcom or amazon.uk. On its US release it was a double bill Blu-Ray with Philip Seymour Hoffman's oscar-winning Capote, which was largely the same story from the viewpoint of the eccentric writer.

I agree that it is a shame about the edge-enhancement, however slight - it's something we shouldn't get on HD. They managed to almost get rid of EE with DVD but it seemd as though it wasn't possible to completely get rid of it, so why is it being introduced to Blu-Ray when it is so unnecessary ?

Last edited:

OneEyedStuart

Distinguished Member
Hi there,

we were given this as a pre-release review disc and we're trying to find out just now what the actual release date is. As and when we know we'll post here.

I'm sure there are wiser people out there who know why EE might be introduced in the encoding process, all I know is it's either there or not there lol.

KH

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom