1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In ceiling subs & bass shakers

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ArsoN, Jul 20, 2005.

1. ArsoN

ArsoN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I have a few questions/ideas.

First off, I'm a bit limited in space in my future home cinema (4mx3m room), so I was wondering, to save space, could I mount a pair of subs in sealed enclosures in the ceiling (see attached pictures)?

These pictures are to scale, but the enclosures aren't final size (will obviously be decided if/when I buy drivers), they're just there to get the idea across. The enclosures would be made of 2 pieces of 1/2" MDF laminated together, glued and screwed together, then probably bolted to the ceiling joists either side (it's the loft above the room, I though about IB subs, but unfortunately the walls at either end of the house have gaps, so sound would travel right into my neighbours lofts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And also, coupling those with a pair of these installed in the sofa.

Ideas? Opinions? Crits?

Or would I be better just nipping this idea in the bud and going for something along the lines of an XLS200?

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Very interesting idea, and although subwoofer sound is ment to be no directional it will ceratinly be louder if its directly above your head.

Could definitly make some interesting move moments.

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    A great idea but I really wouldn't build your sub(s) into the ceiling. There is no way to check the resulting sound quality or frequency response until the boxes are in place.

Looking at it from another point of view the ceiling will reinforce the bass just as much as if the subs were placed on the floor. But your room is rather small. Which means that any room resonances will be well up in the audible range of frequencies at aproximately 43Hz, 57Hz and nearly 70Hz.

With your subs fixed in position in the ceiling you have no way of altering their response except by using a BFD. But you still have no freedom of movement to maximise your subs' performance in your room while minimising room response faults.

I'd investigate wall-mounting for your subwoofer(s) of choice. Placed somewhere between your main speakers. You can use temporary supports (furniture?) to hold the sub(s) at various heights to optimise sound quality. Then when you're happy you can fix the sub(s) on strong shelf brackets so it/they don't fall off and crash to the floor in the middle of a good film.

Nimby

4. ArsoN

ArsoN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good points, I'm glad I posted here before delving into this anymore. :smashin: