Question In ceiling speakers with chromecast audio or similar

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by mcfunk, Dec 29, 2018.

1. mcfunk

mcfunk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I am an absolute novice, so forgive my ignorance and apologies if this is the wrong thread! I want to install ceiling speakers with multi room / multi zone / smart capability across:
    - a big open basement, with a small sitting area (3x3m), kitchen (3x4m) and a dining area (3x5m)
    - and a separate living room on the ground floor (3x7m)

So a total of 4 zones - with one or two speakers in the smaller zones and two or four speakers in the larger zones. I would like to play music in any combination of the zones, and play one thing on one floor and another thing on another floor. It would also be great to hook up the TV to the speakers too.

I looked into Sonos, Bose etc, but they are so expensive and I'm not sure they offer the flexibility I want. So I was thinking of getting a bunch of passive ceiling speakers e.g the below. I would then run all the cables to some dark corner of the house and give each zone it's own amp and chromecast audio.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/PyleHome-PDIC60-Ceiling-Speaker-System/dp/B0007LCL90

I bought a pair of these speakers to test their quality, along with the below amp board. I powered the system with an old 19.5v/90w laptop charger and played music from my phone.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071RDT3L4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The amp was very loud, I didn't get close to full volume, but there was a horrible hiss and a very quiet, modulating squealing noise coming from the speakers constantly, and the music was quite tinny. The hiss and the squealing became inaudible when the volume was very loud. I tested by connecting the speaker to a HiFi and the hiss and squealing were gone, also the tone of speakers was much better. Going back to my own set up, I used an equalizer app and I was able to improve the tinny sound - so I imagine with chromecast audio I could get them sounding good.

I suspect my problem starts with the very cheap board I purchased, possibly the fact that the whole rig was open with power source, phone, speakers and amp all relatively close together. SO here are my questions:

1 - is my overall idea sound (pun intended)? or am I being stupid?
    2 - are the speakers above a good choice? (my wife and I are not audiophiles but we want to be impressed when we listen to music)
    3 - if my overall idea is sound, can it be implemented with amp boards such as the above is there anything I can do to get rid of the hiss & squeal? If so, I would like the system to be always on and I understand that I should use type D amps so it is not constantly using power.
    4 - either way can you suggest speakers / amps / setup I should be going for?

I have can afford better kit than the examples pasted above - I guess I would like to be able to deliver each zone for about £150.

Any advice would be much appreciated... A preemptive happy new year to you all..

2. muljao

muljao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    I think the ceiling idea is quite difficult for your money. I'd say buy the best powered speaker you can afford for each room (or a set of active monitors) and add a Chromecast to each one then, you'd be surprised how good some of these speakers can be. Just my 2 cents

3. mcfunk

mcfunk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @muljao thanks for the tip. My wife is really keen for the ceiling speakers in the open plan area, but I can ditch the ceiling speakers in the living room.

4. muljao

muljao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    I can understand that. I'd just recommend you up your budget if installing something permanent, running cables etc

5. mcfunk

mcfunk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah sounds sensible... Though I'm quite confident in the speakers, less so with the amps. I may spend some more money on the amps and then upgrade the speakers later... Do you have basic but good quality amp recommendation to drive these speakers? All they need to do is take Chromecast input out in stereo to a pair of the above speakers.