1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In ceiling speakers which ones?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by schillaci0, Jun 14, 2005.

1. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Looking for some in ceiling speakers for multiroom music, good quality sound but also not to expensive as will need several pairs.

Any thoughts on the linn sweetspots, how good do they sound or would i be better off with larger size speakers.

2. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Any ideas ? anyone

3. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
  4. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sonance are pretty good mate and Canton do inceiling, i am sure JJ can do you a deal...........Boston are also pretty good

6. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sonance are pretty good mate and Canton do inceiling, i am sure JJ can do you a deal...........Boston are also pretty good

What about cost though ? I was looking at a limit of about £100 per pair.

7. Drone Cone

Drone Cone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Jake James

Jake James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

We have the Canton InCeiling Range and I can incorporate it into our powerbuy for you.

InCeiling50 - £115 / pair - normal Retail - £140
    InCeiling70 - £130 / pair - normal Retail - £180

Check them out on www.canton.de

They are very good value

If you need anymore info, pm me

regards

JJ

9. alliwant

alliwant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know how the cantons compare to the gallo micros installed with the ceiling mounts?

10. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for the replys chaps.

I have been told that i can run two sets of speakers from my linn movie Di.

Just to add i will be running two sets of cables from the amp connection one going to a qed on/off switch for the patio and one to a volume control for the kitchen then to the speakers this is all being controlled by a linn rcu in the kitchen for source selection etc. This is a fairly basi(k) setup but cost effective for my needs currently.

I have pair of b&w in ceiling (ccm50 i think) for rears but will probably move these to the kitchen and get a cheaper pair to replace as i feel they are wasted at the moment.

I will then get either the linn sweetspots or the kef cr80 for the patio to go under a soffit.

My main pair will be then run off of a seperate power amp that can be switched on/off as required for music/movie.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK i am bit rusty on linn at the moment i feel that your plan may be flawed but i would need more info about exactly what you wantif it is Speakers outside, speaker in another room (kitchen?) and 5.1 in main lounge then i will go from there obviously need to control outdoor speakers and kitchen (these will be same source) i think you may need a bit more kit...Alliwant i might be able to give you an opinion on the canton in ceilings soon

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    from a quick look at the Movie Di manual it only has 5.1 speaker outs no zone 2 function (unless you buy another classic boy i love that multiroom yeah put one in each room at £800ea then add speakers) I am not familar with the URC remote thing unless they do a box that interfaces to the RJ45 sockets and can offer suitable outputs i think you may struggle i assume you were planning to use the high level L+R outputs for the MR speakers letting the power amp run the mains???? OK for a party but for £50-100 extra you could have a much better more usable system.

13. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    i assume you were planning to use the high level L+R outputs for the MR speakers letting the power amp run the mains???? OK for a party but for £50-100 extra you could have a much better more usable system

Yes i am but please tell me more

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    buy a cheap stereo amp new or second hand (Technics/Sony/arcam/Cambridge audio) get one with A and B speaker outs (have a mate who has done same thing with a Rotel RA-01 he paid £100 for on ebay) a speakers go to garden speakers, B speakers to kitchen speakers just press A or b or A and B on amp for each zone, can feed this amp from Tape loop on Linn and use any remote you wish (that is compatible Harmony H655, OFA etc) so you have independant selection and volume control for kitchen and garden, and can have lounge on or off

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3280&item=5782012572&rd=1 or similar is ideal a cheap amp has the switching and volume control built in you see (can still use wall mounted volume controls if you like but this will really make your B+W ceilings SING

SO do you think this could be of use?

PS i use one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3280&item=5782184302&rd=1 got it from this very forum with a nice wharedale speakers for £50 no remote but ideal for the sort of use you have I had it in my bedroom and connected to some outdoor spekaers these are very good quality amps and can really "Rock"

PS is this out of date or is the linn a second system?

15. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    No i have ditched the 565 and the 9000es is practically sold, I have two classik movies, one Di version used for the living room and a non Di for the main bed. THe rest of the kit is the same, Iam going to use the roksan power for main possibly biamping the L&R and using the spare channel for the centre and the rears off of the movie.

Horny,
    you have got me thinking a bit more as i got a line reciever off fleabay and could use that with a power amp or active speakers and the rcu connected to that and that would give me very good controllability.
    What do you think

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think it might just work BOSE used to do some powered environmentals (YES i know its BOSE but the environmentals are pretty good and you can get active in ceilings with volume control from QED their modular MR speakers will function in a stanalone mode (need a QED PSU) giving you volume control via in speker IR or wall plate control see www.QED.co.uk (go to mulitroom and modular for more info)