in ceiling speakers - monitor audio

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by white_lightning, Jan 12, 2008.

1. white_lightning

white_lightning
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys - in ceiling speakers

just wondering if there was a lot of diff between the monitor audio c165 and the bronze series, sound wise, is it worth paying the extra .............

and then there is also the slightly smaller radius speakers to consider, any one help???????????

Also, is it better to have a speaker with its own sealed back enclosure(like the bronze) or is it better to have an open back and build your own little insulated box around the speaker - for sound quality?

many thanks ........................

2. white_lightning

white_lightning
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone know about in ceiling speakers ?

3. white_lightning

white_lightning
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone ........................

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Did you get anywhere with the ceiling speakers? I've had similar problems finding any info on them. I like the boxed Monitor Audio but don't want the boxes, as I couldn't get a demo of their install speakers I just decided to order some C165 to try.

As for the back box I assume it is better as it means you get the speakers performing as they should and you don't have the hassle of building one. Unfortunately it also made the speaker too deep to fit where I was intending to put them and the C series is shallower. OTOH since ordering I've had a look and I might be able to fit the CP series by cutting the loft floor.

5. DeWalt Dave

DeWalt Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be sure to review that monitor you have ordered for us . . . its caught my eye and my ear too !

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    :thumbsup: They arrived yesterday and first impressions of the build quality are good, very solid. As with the spec sheet I read beforehand the crossover is covered with a plastic top and it shields the drivers from above but not the side. I've moved the position for the speakers a bit and now I'm installing them into an open unboarded loft area so don't think that will be enough protection. Living in the country means 'things' have a habit of moving in to the loft and don't want them nibbling the speakers before I can get rid of the little blighters. I will probably have to box the speakers in or protect them somehow.

Hopefully it shouldn't be too long before I cut some holes to install them but I'm waiting for some more bits to arrive first.

7. DeWalt Dave

DeWalt Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good, where did you get them from ?

8. ruu_burns

ruu_burns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,
    I am interested in ceiling speakers for a complete setup with the exception of the sub (I will use a floorstanding sub).
    How does your system sound m8, have you gone for a complete in-ceiling setup, other members are warning me it can sound like being in an "indinian restaurant" sound.
    I am worried I will lose the surround sound feel I have now.

9. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I got them from Richer Sounds on eBay £130 all in.

I'm cutting the holes at the moment so don't know yet how they'll sound. :rolleyes: I'm starting with a pair for surrounds (as there's not really enough space for boxes in the room) and if they're OK will probably expand to a full 5 speaker setup. I hope they won't sound like a restaurant, if money was no object I'd have gone for some Triad or Thiel ceiling speakers which get excellent reviews.

10. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I got them hooked up temporarily last night and the sound quality is just like having a pair of Monitor Audio speakers, only in the ceiling. So better than any restaurant I've been in.

The downside is that the sound is definitely coming from somewhere 'up' rather than 'in front'. You still get stereo etc. but it's a bit higher than usual. I haven't tried swiveling the tweeters yet, as for surround use they are perfect as they are. If I decide to add ceiling speakers for the fronts I'd like to hear some of the angled speakers as they're supposed to direct the sound so you get less feeling of it coming from the ceiling.

The upside is that there are no boxes hanging off the wall with cables dangling down and I've not sacrificed sound quality to do it.

HTH

11. DeWalt Dave

DeWalt Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, Im thinking of getting the C165T2. 1x Per upstairs room coming from the sonos boxes. Sounds good then!