In ceiling speakers for gym OR sleek bookshelves?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm thinking of going in-ceiling speakers for my gym. Won't actually be in ceiling, they'll be placed inbetween the wooden beams.

Are there any cheap ceiling drivers which would do the job?

Alternatively, I could just get 4 decent passive speakers and put them in 4 corners of the gym which as I'm typing this might be a smarter idea.

I don't want this to cost a lot of money as its just for the gym. Needs good bass as I can't afford the space for a subwoofer in the gym lol.

Currently using an Edifier 1850DB which TBH sounds great but as its stereo... its coming from one direction so i wanan convert to multi channel stereo. guessing i need an AVR too? Unless is something like sonos a better idea? been trying to stay away from that brand.

What ceiling speakers are going to give good bass though mate?

Surely 4 bookshelves and an amp would be ideal?

What ceiling speakers are going to give good bass though mate?

Surely 4 bookshelves and an amp would be ideal?

yup thats why whilst typing it i opened up the idea to bookshelves :)

It’s such a non ideal environment I’d just pick up something relatively cheap. I had a pair of Monitor Audio RX1 in the kitchen. They were rear ported an always surprised me with their output.

Get 2 x JBL 308 active monitors - superb speakers in every sense!

Can’t think of anything else that’d get close for the money!

Get 2 x JBL 308 active monitors - superb speakers in every sense!

Can’t think of anything else that’d get close for the money!
I'd rather have 4-6 speakers for equal distribution of sound in the room. room is about 4Mx8M so having a pair of stereo upfront is a bit irritating compared to equally distributed sound.

It’s such a non ideal environment I’d just pick up something relatively cheap. I had a pair of Monitor Audio RX1 in the kitchen. They were rear ported an always surprised me with their output.
yup defo cheap is needed for this. cant waste money on gym audio too much lol

I know you've already changed your mind but in-ceiling wouldn't work, at least not without a back box. You'd need in-walls, or something like the kirx range but you don't need that quality.

A mate of mine swears by Mackie stuff. They do a Thrash 212 which is active with a 12" driver.
You'll need a pre-amp to control the volume and you can just split the output of that to the four speakers. That would be dual stereo rather than all stereo.

No idea how good this will sound though.

I'd rather have 4-6 speakers for equal distribution of sound in the room. room is about 4Mx8M so having a pair of stereo upfront is a bit irritating compared to equally distributed sound.
Then buy four or six...they're not expensive.

In ceiling speakers are only good for a bit of background music or atmos speakers and certainly no good for a gym environment.

Q acoustic 3010i? I've set them to near full range and impressive bass for small apeakrr also their wall mounts have decent adjustability

Q acoustic 3010i? I've set them to near full range and impressive bass for small apeakrr also their wall mounts have decent adjustability
they look pretty perfect tbh

You said in your first post you want good bass as you won't be using a sub...

Those 3010's have a 4" driver and go 'down' to 65Hz even in a 'good environment' without a sub that won't put out much bass.

Just trying to be helpful and prevent you wasting your money and being back on here in a months time because you blew the drivers on your new speakers!!

You said in your first post you want good bass as you won't be using a sub...

Those 3010's have a 4" driver and go 'down' to 65Hz even in a 'good environment' without a sub that won't put out much bass.

Just trying to be helpful and prevent you wasting your money and being back on here in a months time because you blew the drivers on your new speakers!!

Have you heard them? They're impressive for the size. For non critical use they're fine without a sub.

They pass enough bass to shake the wall. So they're not satellite speakers.

There's the 3020i also

I’ve heard plenty of speakers with 4” drivers some costing much more than these with advanced DSP / drivers etc

You will NOT get any sort of bass in a 8x4m room being used as a gym with weights bashing about/treadmills going etc!

A decent set of speakers with 6.5 drivers would struggle in a room of that size/use

Like I said I’m just trying to help the OP out if he wants a couple of sets of those Q speakers then ultimately it’s up to him but they really won’t do what he wants!

Ceiling speakers with built in subwoofers? Might become more costly but a more discreet option than larger bookshelves?

I’ve heard plenty of speakers with 4” drivers some costing much more than these with advanced DSP / drivers etc

You will NOT get any sort of bass in a 8x4m room being used as a gym with weights bashing about/treadmills going etc!

A decent set of speakers with 6.5 drivers would struggle in a room of that size/use

Like I said I’m just trying to help the OP out if he wants a couple of sets of those Q speakers then ultimately it’s up to him but they really won’t do what he wants!

What about Cambridge audio minx with two of these minidsp?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220530-100650.png
    Screenshot_20220530-100650.png
    512.9 KB · Views: 38

Ceiling speakers with built in subwoofers? Might become more costly but a more discreet option than larger bookshelves?
I know you've already changed your mind but in-ceiling wouldn't work, at least not without a back box. You'd need in-walls, or something like the kirx range but you don't need that quality.

A mate of mine swears by Mackie stuff. They do a Thrash 212 which is active with a 12" driver.
You'll need a pre-amp to control the volume and you can just split the output of that to the four speakers. That would be dual stereo rather than all stereo.

No idea how good this will sound though.

Ok guys you convinced me to get a subwoofer 🤣🤣
I think 4 smaller speakers and a sub with a crossover makes more sense. Just fitting in the sub is difficult but I’ll have to find a place.

Ok guys you convinced me to get a subwoofer 🤣🤣
I think 4 smaller speakers and a sub with a crossover makes more sense. Just fitting in the sub is difficult but I’ll have to find a place.

Also you'll want to have bass managment so either a AVR or line level crossover (outlaw icbm-1) plus multiple subs to even response plus hoverboss with 8 X 21" opal drivers

I'd say get q acoustic 3020i wall mount them use them for a bit you may find you don't need a sub.

Also you'll want to have bass managment so either a AVR or line level crossover (outlaw icbm-1) plus multiple subs to even response plus hoverboss with 8 X 21" opal drivers

I'd say get q acoustic 3020i wall mount them use them for a bit you may find you don't need a sub.
Avr for bass management as I’m gonna be sticking a 65 inch oled in there so at least it all syncs up well

I’d be better off with smaller speakers aesthetically hence why thinking of just letting a sub handle the bass ?

Avr for bass management as I’m gonna be sticking a 65 inch oled in there so at least it all syncs up well

I’d be better off with smaller speakers aesthetically hence why thinking of just letting a sub handle the bass ?

Depends "how small" Certainly can feel bass guitar from 3010i, if you get Cambridge audio minx pushes frequency response higher.

Playing 3010i full range was fine. 3020i bit more efficient and bigger driver

Depends "how small" Certainly can feel bass guitar from 3010i, if you get Cambridge audio minx pushes frequency response higher.

Playing 3010i full range was fine. 3020i bit more efficient and bigger driver
cheers mate... need to find some for a decent price now.. :D

If you're interested in 3010i I could sell mine thinking of 3020i

Have you considered an Amazon Echo Studio or even a pair? I’ve stuck one in the middle of mine which is about 5.5x3m and it’s plenty loud enough and fills the room.

Saves having to connect it up to anything other than power and can then link via Bluetooth to your phone, tablet or in your case TV/Firestick or work standalone.

That being said I only use it for weights and I don’t particularly pay attention to audio quality when I do. Cardio I train in silence, you can’t compete with music so I don’t train with it, not that I compete anymore but I like to keep the mind strong too :laugh:.

Have you considered an Amazon Echo Studio or even a pair? I’ve stuck one in the middle of mine which is about 5.5x3m and it’s plenty loud enough and fills the room.

Saves having to connect it up to anything other than power and can then link via Bluetooth to your phone, tablet or in your case TV/Firestick or work standalone.

That being said I only use it for weights and I don’t particularly pay attention to audio quality when I do. Cardio I train in silence, you can’t compete with music so I don’t train with it, not that I compete anymore but I like to keep the mind strong too :laugh:.

i think the current edifier speakers will be better than those echo studio. got some 1850db.
i want true surround sound from all 4 corners. think it will be pretty epic. something i rly like about multi channel stereo.

its defo a luxury upgrade rather than a neccessity

i think the current edifier speakers will be better than those echo studio. got some 1850db.
i want true surround sound from all 4 corners. think it will be pretty epic. something i rly like about multi channel stereo.

its defo a luxury upgrade rather than a neccessity
Ah fair, although the echo studios are “Atmos” so it sounds more like all channel stereo anyway. I’ll have to actually pay attention, output wise I’m not sure though, my garage is single skin and the garage door itself isn’t completely sealed so music is easily audible outside which means I won’t ever go crazy with it.

Amazing how much difference a cavity makes, can literally have the main system on reference and you can barely hear it outside over normal daytime noise!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom