• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered In Ceiling speakers between rafters

IrishChris

Hi,
I'm thinking about getting in ceiling speakers for Atmos. My only concern is that they would be installed between the rafters on the sloping part of the ceiling in an attic room. So theres not much space behind it before its the actual roof. Would this cause problems? Any precautions to take?

Something like the image below, the in ceiling speaker would go where the Ratfers line is pointing.
393ac31c5314cf51ba9ba7a82b95a84c.jpg

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Most in ceiling speakers are designed to fit in shallow spaces, any idea how deep the space is?

IrishChris

Most in ceiling speakers are designed to fit in shallow spaces, any idea how deep the space is?

Need to check. Likely around 200mm? I'm hoping that I might be able to install them on the flat part of the ceiling, they would be in line with the outer seats, just before the beginning of the slope. But if I need to install in the sloped part I was just wondering if the closeness to the actuall roof or whatever needed anything further to be done. There is currently foam panel insulation in there.

IrishChris

IrishChris

Many people fit hoods to comply with fire regulations... which also helps keep dust out of the speakers.

There's a (quite old but still relevant) discussion here:
Do ceiling speakers need a fire protective hood?

Cheers for that! There are no rooms above me, its an attic room but yeah will look at getting one of those for the fire and audio leakage to outside the house. The Hoodys are pretty steep!

zad

I made my own hoods from left over rock wool. Made quiet a difference in the sound transfer as well to my bedroom above.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom