In Ceiling Speakers - best way to soundproof rooms above?

Patch04

Established Member
Reaction score
Posted this thread in 'Speakers' then realised this is prob best home for my question:

I've just got the Sonos bundle (how good?!) and want to install in-ceiling speakers in the kitchen and our en-suite bathroom. Sound insulation in our 7 year old house is appalling at the best of times and there are bedrooms above the kitchen. The loft is open plan above our en-suite bathroom so sound will easily travel there too..

Happy to dig up the floor in the bedrooms above the kitchen if necessary so what is the most effective way to ensure that any sound from the speakers doesn't travel through to other rooms?

Also any recommended installers on the Surrey/West Suddex/Hampshire borders?

Cheers

I'd too like to know this. :thumbsup:

maybe build out a soffit in the room for the speakers and maybe some recessed lighting. otherwise you'll need to build up a box for each speaker into the ceiling with enough mass and insulation to isolate it and dampen it. something like MDF and GWB to make the shell in-between joists and under the upper floor.

dynamat do a speaker pod/cover that folds up,so it can be put in from the lower
floor,it keeps sound in well and makes the speakers work better.It might cost a bit tho,add some rockwool on top of the pod and im sure it would help even more.

Thanks for replies. A chum has the Speakercraft speakers with hoods but the sound still leak through.

In summary am I best to install say the Speakercraft speakers and wedge rockwool around to suppress? Any done this?

get some of this, and put two layers to make it 100mm thick.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/161197

I've done all out downstairs ceilings/upstairs floors with it on our new build, you'll be supprised what sound it cuts out!

In summary am I best to install say the Speakercraft speakers and wedge rockwool around to suppress? Any done this?

the rockwool and other insulation products won't provide isolation by themselves. they may dampen some of the sound but if you're putting speakers with openings into the space between your joists, you're going to have sound making its way along that joist space. if thats the only option, make sure you stuff enough insulation into that space to seal it on either side of the speaker housing as much as you can.

Knauf's Rocksilk slabs are very good - I have previously used RS45 both underfloor boards, between joists and in studwork walls with excellent results.

There is also Knauf's Crown acoustic roll products, which are thermal and accoustic... although, not quite so good as the rocksilk for reducing sound in my experience.

This with some boxing around the back of the speaker, maybe from 19mm plasterboard (as British Gypsum specify in their Silent Floor system)... should be good!

Be sure not to fix anything with screws or nails though, they'll transmit the sound bridging any insulation you put in...

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks all, I bottled it in the kitchen (new baby arriving next June and nursery will be directly above!) and am getting some B&W wall mounters but will be using in ceiling speakers in bedroom and bathroom so will take into account your recommendations - easier to get to as loft is open pre-conversion which is planned for early next year so should be able to insulate properly.

Dear PATCHO4

installer - with good knowledge and service
David Lane - www.livingrooms.tv 0845 388 1964
based in Teddington TW12 Middlesex

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom