In-ceiling projector screen perpendicular to joists

Dancook

Distinguished Member
So didn't think this one through enough it seemed..

The projection screen is about 135mm in height and will go at the end of the room in front of a window.

However it will be perpendicular to the joists, so I'm going to have to make a decision on what to do ..

• Lower ceiling for entire room, i'm told we wouldn't notice the difference, but I do want to use part of the room for VR gaming
  • We box it at the end of the room
  • We make some kind of feature out of it, maybe bring the edges of the room down with LED strips all round or something...
I'd appreciate suggestions

N.B. the end of the room is part of the extension, 4.5x4.5m so the ceiling doesn't exist yet..

speaker_placement_4.jpg

l1290981.jpg

Last edited:

N42

Think box it in with pelmet all round

sijones

Hi,

Is it the roof design that is dictating the direction of the joists? As it is still being built, it would be best if the joists spanned the shortest distance and that would make you screen installation much easier.

Kind regards,

Steve

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Is it the roof design that is dictating the direction of the joists? As it is still being built, it would be best if the joists spanned the shortest distance and that would make you screen installation much easier.

Kind regards,

Steve

There is a steel going across from above bifold.

The bedroom above only covers about 2.5m out of 4.5m. There is a patch or roof with same direction of beams as joists I believe.

Not sure what adjustments to plan can be made,

plans.png

Dancook

Distinguished Member
@Paddyfin so does your ceiling stop short, and then the projector is recessed a little higher? or is that lip the projector screen?

We considered having the ceiling in the same blue as the walls, but not with a big white stripe across it...

Or is your projector casing exactly the width of the room?

Last edited:

Thug

We have just had a similar extension built and our beams went across the shortest span and the very end beam we didn't put noggins in (we used ties instead) and I cut the hole for the screen in the ceiling for the screen to sit in, in front of the window too.

Just remember to wire it all up prior to the boards being put on and also don't forget to wire up your atmos speakers (even if you don't have atmos yet).
I also sunk my projector into the wall (and into the garage).

IMG_3623_zpsyiiteuor.jpg

IMG_3624_zpssvqlehzf.jpg

IMG_3636_zpsaat2nktg.jpg

IMG_3735_zpsmspbbamn.jpg

IMG_3737_zpsasr6mvvx.jpg

Thug

Just thought, you could create a false wall at the window end which the screen could be sunk into (like an enlarged window aperture I suppose, or like how people create a false wall to sink their TV into), you could also sink your speakers into it too and you would only lose about 4"-5" of the room. It would also be good for blocking the light out too if done tightly and creatively.
You wouldn't need to drop the ceiling at all that way.

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Just thought, you could create a false wall at the window end which the screen could be sunk into (like an enlarged window aperture I suppose, or like how people create a false wall to sink their TV into), you could also sink your speakers into it too and you would only lose about 4"-5" of the room. It would also be good for blocking the light out too if done tightly and creatively.
You wouldn't need to drop the ceiling at all that way.

Having difficulty to imagine this..

I had a false wall on a chimney breast to sink my TV in level with it.

But this would step in for the screen, which retracts, then it'll step in again for the window, is that what you're picturing?

Thug

Yes, but don't forget your screen with take up quite a bit of the wall, so it will only be a bit around the top and sides and perhaps bottom. Just a thought and may save reducing the ceiling height.

Or you could reduce the ceiling height all over and put more soundproofing in there to make it better for anyone in the bedroom above.

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Yes, but don't forget your screen with take up quite a bit of the wall, so it will only be a bit around the top and sides and perhaps bottom. Just a thought and may save reducing the ceiling height.

Or you could reduce the ceiling height all over and put more soundproofing in there to make it better for anyone in the bedroom above.

Ok I've mocked up what I think you mean, when the screen is down, in theory it looks ok but it will never be a tight fit like this.

When the screen is up it would look ..well not good to me :D

lounge_falsewall_down.png
lounge_falsewall_up.png

Paddyfin

Yes my ceiling stops short and the screen casement is wall to wall
The others are right about dropping the ceiling allows for atmos speaker fitting Tao be that much easier

cossie

I have the same problem as you and I'm in the process of building a drop ceiling which stops short of the coving by about 275mm. The centre section of the new ceiling will also be at the original height. The plasterboard over hangs the edge of the timber and plasterboard frame by about 70mm. It's clear what I mean in the photo's.

I'm waiting on the plasterer to do the first stage which is to plaster the around the edge and centre section before I fix the face plasterboard, Around the edges will be lit by strip LED's.

Living room ceiling under construction with the screen test fitted so I can cut the plaster board correctly.
20170529_172330.jpg
20170529_172344.jpg
20170529_172344.jpg

And a view of one I did in the bathroom with the LED's on.
20170529_172412.jpg
20170529_172259.jpg

Attachments

• 20170529_172356.jpg
    20170529_172356.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 251

Dancook

Distinguished Member
nice

my problem has been solved, i spoke to the main builder the morning - he said it's not a problem - the end of the room can be isolated, as it won't be load bearing because we'll have the steel beams in further up. So we can do what we like in that area. The bedroom above starts about 2m in, so there's a small triangular roof section above where the PJ screen goes.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone