In-ceiling pre-wired w Cat5e and 16 awg. WHY???

Nicehare

Standard Member
I just purchased a new-build model home with installed in-ceiling speakers in the kitchen, family room, and en-suite bathroom. Each room also has a separate volume control switch. All three speakers are wired down to the basement and each has one white 24 awg cat5e and one green 16 awg cable. Is this a typical or normal wiring setup??? I'm unclear on how to plug these into my amp.

Speakers: AudioTrak SKA680ST, Hi-Fidelity 6.5 inch in-ceiling stereo speakers.

Volume switch:knoll VS100pm

Thank in advance.

dj-dulux

Just to confirm, is the 16awg 4 core, and does the cat 5 and 16 gauge go to the speaker via the wall point? If so this is a pretty standard wiring method, especially in the usa. It allows for nearly any multiroom system to be installed.

What set up are you planning on?

Dupe...

bryanchicken

Just to confirm, is the 16awg 4 core, and does the cat 5 and 16 gauge go to the speaker via the wall point? If so this is a pretty standard wiring method, especially in the usa. It allows for nearly any multiroom system to be installed.

What set up are you planning on?

Dupe...

Hey Dupe, is there a name for this type of wiring setup? Or a guide or something? This sounds like exactly what i want to be doing with mine.

Thanks

dj-dulux

Hey Dupe, is there a name for this type of wiring setup? Or a guide or something? This sounds like exactly what i want to be doing with mine.

Thanks

The spec is called ANSI/CEA2030 and is primerily for the USA using older multiroom systems, these days very few customers have in-wall controllers exept for maybe the kitchen.

In general the following is applied in the UK

Speaker cables back to rack room from all speaker locations
Cat5/6 or balanced audio cable to any subwoofer locations
Cat5/6 * 2 to key points in the house for access points and telephone
Coax (wf100) *2 and Cat5/6 * 2 to each TV point

The above is the min and many add an extra cat5/6 to TV locations

Dupe...

Nicehare

Standard Member
After some additional research and reading your replies it does appear that this is a common configuration these days for both a simple 2 channel setup or an advanced multi-room system. Thanks again and cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom