1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

in-ceiling KEFs

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by kevshed, Jan 22, 2004.

1. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Guys,

Bit of an oddball question - but hoping some installers may be able to help...

I am currently working on a project at work, where i had specified a Kef KHT2005.2 as the speaker solution for a cinema setup at work... now, dont get all negative, this is by know means a state of the art installation, just looking for an OK sound - it will be used to demo computing technology, not Home theatre as such, so there will be no long duration film watching or anything of that nature.

Now, heres the issue. I have bought the Eggs, and the management have now said ... no no no , we cant have that, wires and speakers everywhere etc etc etc

So, i need to get some in-ceiling speakers for use as surrounds. I'd like to keep the front stage on the eggs though as i dont have room or budget to change.

Im thinking of adding 4 KEF Ci 200.2QT in-ceiling speakers to cover the rear channels for 7.1 - the specs look ok, although the freq response isnt as wide as the eggs (as expected), but this would by far solve my asthetic issue....

View please... would they sound OK.... remember, OK is all im looking for, they will be driven by a Denon 2803

I also like the idea that they are retractable.... cool idea, and adds some direction to the speaker... cool :)

thx
    Kev

2. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Hi Kev. The 200qt's are IMO more than okay, they're great. I had a pair hooked up for EX/ES use along with THX rears and I was quite surprised at the level of clarity I got with them. They were used with a Denon A1SE and on the seven channel stereo setting they would blend in with the rest very well. Its very handy being able to control the tilt, but I found the tilt best for music (7 channel stereo/DTS neo 6) when it needed more direction. For film soundtracks it sounded more enveloping having them fully retracted. They have quite a bit of bass weight for their type of speakers too. Theres a switch (boundary compensation I think they call it) which gives a bit more control over the bass. I think the management would be suitably impressed, especially when they glide down:D It oozes James Bond appeal:clap: !

3. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Fantastic - just what i wanted to hear !!!!!

Many many thanks...