1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In car sound

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Chox1988, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,278
    I have a NW- HD1 and am wanting to play it through my car's speakers but don't have an aux input on my headunit, can't afford a new one yet. So was wondering whether I should go for the fm transmitter or cassette adaptor. If so any recommendations.

Cheers.

2. djpowell

djpowell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Goodmans cassette adapter that came in a pack with a power adapter, and a ridiculous goose-necked mounting bracket thing. The sound quality was very good, but I pulled the wire out of it. So I bought a cheap no-name one from the supermarket expecting them all to be the same, but the sound quality was awful. It sounded like AM-radio. I foolishly bought another cheap one and that was just as bad, then I bought a Sony one, and that was good, but perhaps not as a good as the Goodmans one. So I'd recomend either Goodmans or Sony.

From what I've heard FM trasmitters aren't as good as cassette adapters, but I've never tried one myself.

--
    Dave

3. dq1967

dq1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Goodmans for my NWHD5H and it sounds crap I'm afraid. I'm trying to get a Sony CPA 9 just now, but they're as rare as hen's teeth just now. Let us know what you do and how you get on.

dq

4. DaveA

DaveA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dug out a panasonic cassette adaptor from an old CD walkman (remember them??!!? :D ) - the sound is there, but essentially sounds rather like a cassette - mainly because it's going through the cassette's input mechanism.

Highs and lows tend to be overdone, with the midsound being slightly muddy.

Fortunately i've got an amp in the back of the car, and wiring in direct is great! I just haven't run the cables through yet.

5. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
  6. dq1967

dq1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well spotted, they were quoting 4 weeks last week !

7. DaveA

DaveA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Other choices are Dension Icelink or Connects2 adaptor. Both in the £50plus price bracket though, but much superior sound/functionality.

8. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,278
    Cheers everyone for teh responses. I think I'm gonna go sell blood and invest in either an expensive cassette adaptor or an AUX input type thing on the headunit. Only problem then is I want a subwoofer (strokes chin and contemplates how much blood he's got)

:thumbsup:

9. DaveA

DaveA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Abu - try the Infinity Basslink. Very good - easy install - auto sensing on the inputs (high level speaker taps/rca if you have em). Auto power off etc.

10. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Best bet is to get a decent head unit which has a aux in.

I bought this head unit from Argos for £165. It is from their last catalogue and therefore isn't on argos.co.uk anymore. It is really nice, if you want a new one I recommend this one. Catalogue number 500/3514, worth checking if it is in stock at your local store!

It has a phono line in on the back, I just have to work out how to plug a jack-RCA cable in and get the jack cable round the front!

Or I could get a Connects2 kit, which are £50 from Halfords.

11. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    LOL I like the way Halfords describe it as having "the ability to play MP3 and ATRAC2"...... :rolleyes:

12. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WIth my HD5 on line out I use a Sony cassette adaptor model CPA-8. Its from an old sony car diskman but I never used it. Whats the difference between the cpa8 and cpa9?
    The sound quality is excellent, sounds just as good as if I had the CD in the stacker. The bass is clean and good (depends on car stereo) and it doesn't sound like it has lost any quality (like on tapes). FM tuner would be handy in some cases (like if you dont have a cassette in your car) but i would have thought it would sound like radio (crackly and slightly less quality) unless like the cassette it just depends on the source so it may sound better than radio.
    Only problem I have is that sometime when i put the tape in it musn't go in properly and the operation is slighly noisy, then it auto reverses the tape and doesnt play sound, but all I have to do is take the tape out and put it in again, then it plays quietly for ages.
    It has a little slider thing on the thicker side of the tape that has a left, right and centre position, its called cross talk or something, what does this do, it didnt make any difference (that i heard).

13. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,278
    I like the looks of that Infintity Basslink. *To ebay and beyond*

Cheers. :thumbsup:

14. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As i suggested in another tread;

"Rather than using a transmitter why not chose a FM Modulator/Oscillator

such as this- http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx...o=44128&doy=6m9

You connect the device to a lineout/ head phone out on your mp3 player and you plug a lead into the FM input of your car radio. (and don't worry, you don't lose your fm singals as they have a "Pass-through FM aerial connector"

Perfect for a sound q boost better than FM transmitters and likely better than tape. The best is having a "aux" in on your radio/CD but not many have that function.

As for MP3 players, i don't think you can go wrong. Get something you like

P.S- I made one from a soldering kit. :devil: "

15. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,278
    That looks very interesting. Didn't think anything like that existed. I'd make one but not good enough with electronics. I'll fork out the twenty, not very expensive :clap: .

Cheers.

16. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest my kit one isn't brill and it takes abit of tuning, but i'm sure the bought one will be much better. I'd great it quick if u want one because its on promotion, let us know how it sounds. Hope it sounds ok.