• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

In Car Entertainment

D

dontpannic

Hi all, first post!

I'm looking to get meself a Fiesta in the next week or so, to start off my driving, but a bit novice in the ICE sort of stuff.

I'm looking at your bog standard fiesta, 2 speakers, mounted in the front doors.

Now, I'm thinking of getting myself a pair of these

and this

Now the question. Am I going to need anything else? I've heard talk of amplifiers, but unsure of costs and easiness to install.

Also, will these bring out good quality sound?

Thanks,

Nick

Jon Boy

god those speakers look awful!!

IMO - I'd go with a set of 240w 4 way pioneer 6x9's - have alook on ebay , you should find some for around £30 ish or you can buy them new for around £70.

The head unit loks better than the speakers but you really do get what you pay for! I've laways bought pioneer stuff , i just picked this up for £73 on ebay...

dehp7600.jpg

sorry if that pic came out too big!

you could amp the 6x9's up once installed with a smallish cheap amp to make them sound a bit better and louder!

If you want deeper bass , go for a bass box but it would require a bigger amp!

I have a 12" Rockfor fosgate sub and a big jbl amp for my sounds!

If you just want to upgrade the standard system so you can have better sound quality and be able to give it a bit of volume , i'd say measure your front speakers and replace those for some of the same size (kenwoods , pioneer , sony etc) Go for some pioneer 6 x 9's (3 or 4 way) Buy a small amp , say 200w for the 6x9's and then spend upto £100 on a stereo!

that would be a good budget system i'd say!

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Jon

D

dontpannic

Jon Boy said:
god those speakers look awful!!

IMO - I'd go with a set of 240w 4 way pioneer 6x9's - have alook on ebay , you should find some for around £30 ish or you can buy them new for around £70.

The head unit loks better than the speakers but you really do get what you pay for! I've laways bought pioneer stuff , i just picked this up for £73 on ebay...

you could amp the 6x9's up once installed with a smallish cheap amp to make them sound a bit better and louder!

If you want deeper bass , go for a bass box but it would require a bigger amp!

I have a 12" Rockfor fosgate sub and a big jbl amp for my sounds!

If you just want to upgrade the standard system so you can have better sound quality and be able to give it a bit of volume , i'd say measure your front speakers and replace those for some of the same size (kenwoods , pioneer , sony etc) Go for some pioneer 6 x 9's (3 or 4 way) Buy a small amp , say 200w for the 6x9's and then spend upto £100 on a stereo!

that would be a good budget system i'd say!

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Jon

Nice one mate, much appreciated. Any ideas as to where I could get hold of amp's and speakers "on the high street"? Got a fairly small budget but can save over time...

Thanks!

Nick

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Depends whereabouts you are but I'm sure you'll have an ICE store somewhere nearby.

If not then I'm afraid you'll be stuck with Hellfrauds.

Oh & PLEASE dont buy 6x9's

A nice set of components will sound infinitely better than those 6x9's your looking at also they wouldnt fit in the doors anyway.

How much is your budget?
Will you be getting Amps & Subs later?

One final word of advice...dont buy SONY!!!!!!!
Their car audio sucks...BIG TIME!!!!!
Think of them as the Kia/Daewoo of the ICE world

Neil

Jon Boy

you need 6x9's or at least some nice 10" drivers for the rear sound!!

It's like saying " do away with your rear av speakers , 2.1 sounds so much better" :nono:

Yep Halfords it is mate unless you have a local car accessory shop that sells ICE?
Failing that you could buy second hand from ebay or just buy off online car audio sites!

My mate runs a site called rmdaudio.co.uk which sometimes has some good deals!
My two biggest car audio stores are herts car audio in Hitchin or ice direct in Preterborough :smashin:

Jon

T

trashbat

Soundwave said:
One final word of advice...dont buy SONY!!!!!!!
Their car audio sucks...BIG TIME!!!!!
Think of them as the Kia/Daewoo of the ICE world

aye, how true.

independant retailers usualy have the lowest prices. i remember i drove into central london to get all my stuff cos it was the cheapest, and i live in Eastbourne (no oldie jokes please)

halfrauds will do exactly that, rob you blind.

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Jon Boy said:
you need 6x9's or at least some nice 10" drivers for the rear sound!!

It's like saying " do away with your rear av speakers , 2.1 sounds so much better" :nono:

Yep Halfords it is mate unless you have a local car accessory shop that sells ICE?
Failing that you could buy second hand from ebay or just buy off online car audio sites!

My mate runs a site called rmdaudio.co.uk which sometimes has some good deals!
My two biggest car audio stores are herts car audio in Hitchin or ice direct in Preterborough :smashin:

Jon

It's not at all like saying that.
6x9's are the bane of the Car audio world & should be avoided at all costs.

If your doing things in stages then get the front sound stage sorted first & add a sub & Amp later

You dont need any rear fill you sit in the front so no point in wasting money you dont need to on a set of rear speakers which you'll be ditching in the future for a Sub anyway.

Neil

richjthorpe

Have to agree with Soundwave on this one, why have bigger speakers in the back when you are listening to music ? When you go to a gig, is the music coming from behind you or in front of you ?

Buy a decent headunit with about 4x45w per channel and buy the best Component speakers you can for your money. I paid 120GBP for a set of Rainbow Components (6" mid bass and 1" tweeter) and left the original speakers in the rear (About 3") and have the fader with bias to the front. They sound fantastic and drop well without a sub. I'm sure they would sound better with an amp though.

Just to give you an idea, I bought a pair of Pioneer 7" mid bass from Halfords for my wifes Mk3 Golf for about 50 quid. They sound awful !

Richie.

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
richjthorpe said:
Have to agree with Soundwave on this one, why have bigger speakers in the back when you are listening to music ? When you go to a gig, is the music coming from behind you or in front of you ?

Buy a decent headunit with about 4x45w per channel and buy the best Component speakers you can for your money. I paid 120GBP for a set of Rainbow Components (6" mid bass and 1" tweeter) and left the original speakers in the rear (About 3") and have the fader with bias to the front. They sound fantastic and drop well without a sub. I'm sure they would sound better with an amp though.

Just to give you an idea, I bought a pair of Pioneer 7" mid bass from Halfords for my wifes Mk3 Golf for about 50 quid. They sound awful !

Richie.

Woohooo another Rainbow Convert :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Arent they great??? :D :D

I've 5.25" SLC250 Kick Bass comps up front in mine...best £170 I ever spent on a set of speakers.
They are extremely bassy for a 5.25" speaker.

I do recommend you amp them soon Richie, you'll be amazed all over again at how great they sound.
Which model have you got just out of interest?

To be honest I havent had rear fill in any of my cars now for about 5 years & I deffinitley dont miss it.

Neil

Layne RIP

I was told something by a guy that owns his own Car Audio shop... and has done for many years, both selling and installing some wild systems.

The best sound you'll get (according to him) is a decent head unit (pioneer, alpine etc.) a quality set of speakers up front and a good sub in the the boot....

Plus point with that is that it's nice and cheap too..:)

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Layne RIP said:
[/snip]
Plus point with that is that it's nice and cheap too..:)

Quite possibly the biggest lie he will have ever told you :rotfl: :rotfl: ;)

My current system started off as a £800 all in system & quickly snowballed to now owing me around £1800 :eek: :eek: :eek:

This can be a VERY expensive hobby if your not careful with the purse strings

Layne RIP said:
The best sound you'll get (according to him) is a decent head unit (pioneer, alpine etc.) a quality set of speakers up front and a good sub in the the boot....

That however is completely true & very good advice :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Neil

majorstare

Soundwave is 100% right.:smashin:

I used to install ICE and have done some big installs in my time.

The ammount of people who put 6x9s in then an amp saying 600W and claim its the dogs:thumbsdow

Heres some tips.....

Buy the best head unit you can
Buy the best set of components for the front you can (try and match to the head unit)
Avoid SONY !
Keep all cables tidy and of the correct size.
Dont be fooled by 1000W amps/speakers, look for the RMS value.
Match the RMS of an amp to the speakers
Keep to the same brand if possible
Use good quality cable and of the correct size
Make sure you have a good earth.
Avoid 6x9's !!!!!!
Dont have speakers in the rear of the car (unless its a sub)

That should do for now !

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
They arent bad by any strecth of the imagination.

Whats your budget?
Are you getting Amps & Subs?
What car as well?

I'll have a look for some alternatives as well for you.

Neil

T

trashbat

well i currently have 2x12inch Subs in the back and two amps 1x2channel and 1x4channel. its all in my lovley Primera (the loudest one i recon :D )

not really thought about a budjet as i only decided to sort it out today but if i am having two sets no more than £300 for the lot i spose :(

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
trashbat said:
well i currently have 2x12inch Subs in the back and two amps 1x2channel and 1x4channel. its all in my lovley Primera (the loudest one i recon :D )

not really thought about a budjet as i only decided to sort it out today but if i am having two sets no more than £300 for the lot i spose :(

What amps are you running & how??

I'd personally buy one good set of comps for the front first wire them up & see if you think you need rear fill or not then.

For your budget (2 x £150) I'd get a set of these...

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pro...d=3018&cadid=848c6dbb79663cb94528451d433d5e77

Fantastic speakers & very well rated online.

I dont think you'll go wrong with them.

Neil

D

dontpannic

Thanks for all of the advice, Im a complete novice in this area, due to the fact of me not having a car yet!

So basically, I'd have a budget of around £100 a month ish, to be able to get some good quality sounds.

So, a few more questions, if I may:

What outputs do I need on a potential head unit?
Would I need an amp for 2 speakers in front, (to be upgraded at some point) and a subwoofer?
How easy is it to install and connect up?

Thanks, this is one of the most helpful communities I have been in!

Nick

EDIT:?
Also, what happens if I have 60W speakers with a head unit that oinly offers 45W?

T

trashbat

Soundwave said:
What amps are you running & how??

1x2 Channel 800W for the subs

and the 4 Channel 400W is currently running the 6x9s (was going to add more speakers but never got round to it.

Howard0000

If you're sticking a load of 6x9s in a Fiesta, you're just asking for them to get nicked really. Not to mention they sound pretty rubbish.

Upgrade the head unit (just remember to take the fascia off for added security when you leave the car), and maybe the front speakers to some components, or just better coaxial speakers. That ought to give you more than enough enjoyment for now while you learn to drive ;)

As for manufacturers, I'd generally recommend Pioneer and Alpine, and not Sony. Or any of those Ministry of Sound ones.

Then in the future you can buy another car with a 6 speaker stock system or something you can upgrade, and not just two measly front speakers :D

Layne RIP

I'm planning on uprating my set up.. as my celica has a 6 speaker setup i'll be able to do a straight replacement.. :D

I probably be getting:

Alpine CDA-9855R head unit
ipod adapter
set of high end alpine components up front
set of alpine 6" 2 ways in the rear

i might get a bass tube just to fill the sound out.... i'm not after big bass as i'm a big rock / metal fan!!

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
trashbat said:
1x2 Channel 800W for the subs

and the 4 Channel 400W is currently running the 6x9s (was going to add more speakers but never got round to it.

Right first of 2 posts as it's easier to answer this way :D :D

If I was you I'd buy the Genesis Components I linked to & run them from the 4 channel amp...but here's the new part

Run the 4 channel amp in 2 Channel mode by bridging the channels.
This will give almost double the power to the components then with the subs running from the 2 channel see how it sounds.

If you still think you need rear fill add another set of components & run the amp in 4 channel mode again.

Neil

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
dontpannic said:
Thanks for all of the advice, Im a complete novice in this area, due to the fact of me not having a car yet!

So basically, I'd have a budget of around £100 a month ish, to be able to get some good quality sounds.

So, a few more questions, if I may:

What outputs do I need on a potential head unit?
Would I need an amp for 2 speakers in front, (to be upgraded at some point) and a subwoofer?
How easy is it to install and connect up?

Thanks, this is one of the most helpful communities I have been in!

Nick

EDIT:?
Also, what happens if I have 60W speakers with a head unit that oinly offers 45W?

Post 2 :D

First things first...no headunit you buy will be proper 45W thats a maximum figure & not RMS...only ever look at RMS figures when buying Audio.
I would expect a H/U that states 45W will infact only be around 15-20Wrms

As for Speakers with a bigger power handling dont worry about that.
If your feeding speakers a clean signal then the what they can handle makes no odds, as an example...my current Rainbow Components are rated to only 75Wrms but are being fed over 120Wrms they cope really well & go much louder without distortion.

Now I dont know how long till you get your car but I would recommend saving that £100 a month till then so you have a good starting block of money to begin the build with.

Let's take a round ball park figure of say £500 for your first system I'd look at something similair to this...

H/U...
Pioneer DEH-30MP £90.00

Components...
Rainbow SLX230 5.25" £90.00

Amp:
JBL GTO 75.4 4 Channel £100.00

Sub:
Magnat XTC250 10" £80.00

Sub Box:
Empty 10" Sealed Enclosure £30.00

Wiring Kit:
CAD Value Wiring Kit £30.00
Extra 5 Metre RCA £10.00

That should see you fine & all for £430 + postage

3 points on that system...

1) The H/U will play MP3/WMA encoded discs :Thumbsup:
2) I chose 5.25" components as I dont know what size standard speakers are in a Fiesta & as those are the most common size in older cars decided on them...price will vary if you go bigger.
3) The Amp I choose is a 4 channel Amp which means its fairly easy to build the system...Run the components from the Front 2 Channels then Bridge the 2 Rear Channels to form 1 Channel & run the Sub from that. It shoudl Equate to a power split of 2 x 104Wrms to the components & 1 x 284Wrms for the sub whihc will be more than ample for the system...and your neighbours :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

As for wiring it up I'd get a proffesional to do it I've never done my own systems as I'm all thumbs when it comes to this sort of thing & the amount I spent on components meant I couldnt afford to **** it up ;)

Also your best bet for Outputs on the H/U would be the number of pre-outs (These allow you to hook up Amps) look for one with at least 2.
Rated power isnt important for the H/U if you are using Amps as these will supply much better power than any H/U on the market.
Obviously SQ is important too top 3 brands available are:
Nakamachi
Alpine
Pioneer

So there you go one full system :smashin: :smashin:

HTH

Neil

lynx

Senior Moderator
Soundwave said:
The Amp I choose is a 4 channel Amp...It shoudl Equate to a power split of 2 x 104Wrms to the components & 1 x 284Wrms for the sub whihc will be more than ample for the system...

Notice the THD that these figures are quoted at...way over the top and not quoted at industry standards.

Soundwave said:
Obviously SQ is important too top 3 brands available are:
Nakamachi
Alpine
Pioneer

I'm sure Becker,Mcintosh and RF owners would disagree. ;)

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
lynx said:
Notice the THD that these figures are quoted at...way over the top and not quoted at industry standards.

I'm sure Becker,Mcintosh and RF owners would disagree. ;)

LOL Ok I'll take the becker & Macintosh examples but I cant say I've ever heard anyone recommend a Rockford unit over any of the others ;)

Regards the THD...I didnt wanna confuse the poor boy too much...I'm pretty sure everything will be fine for a first system ;)
When the bug bites proper we'll start with the real lessons ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom