In Car DVD systems

mrapbp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Wanted to get some advice on in car DVD systems.

We are planning a number of fairly lengthy trips that will include quite a lot of car travel so I wanted to get something for my 3 boys to keep them occupied. (before the more miserable of you say I know what we did when we were kids but we live in a different age now!! ;)).

I had one of the units that you hang over each head rest but it wasn't good quality and died fairly quickly. Anyone know anything about the roof mounted ones (any good, how do you mount them, cost etc).

Any other types that are worth looking at?

Basically looking at something that isn't hugely expensive, is transferable to different cars and is decent enough sound and picture etc.

Cheers!

We have a headrest DVD system that just never gets used now.
What a pain to wire up it was!
Cables everywhere etc.:thumbsdow

IMO, you should maybe look at buying your kids individual multimedia players.
They'll pay for themselves in the long run.
We did this, and they're far happier than they were with the DVD player.
They can watch what they want, so no arguments about what film is on,plus they can switch to music, audio books and games at their leisure.

Much better option, and I doubt any/much more expensive than what you're looking at.

Not a bad idea but potentially more hassle than popping in a DVD. Also I would think that 3 decent media players would cost a bit!

We have a headrest DVD system that just never gets used now.
What a pain to wire up it was!
Cables everywhere etc.:thumbsdow

IMO, you should maybe look at buying your kids individual multimedia players.
They'll pay for themselves in the long run.
We did this, and they're far happier than they were with the DVD player.
They can watch what they want, so no arguments about what film is on,plus they can switch to music, audio books and games at their leisure.

Much better option, and I doubt any/much more expensive than what you're looking at.

I have a dvd in a satchel set up here somewhere that we used to use it wasn't that much of a pain TBH

Have you considered sony PSP units or nintendo DS keep em occupied alright
along with an ipod shuffle???

loadsa movie discs for the PSP at amazon...:

Amazon.co.uk: UMD

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
you should maybe look at buying your kids individual multimedia players.

Have you considered sony PSP units or nintendo DS keep em occupied alright
along with an ipod shuffle???

I'd test this first. My daughter gets seriously car sick if she uses a DS or PSP (even if just watching movies) but when watching a headrest-mounted DVD she is fine.

I think it's all to do with being able to see the outside and therefore, the brain can make sense of the car movements.

Some people suffer, some don't.

Cheers,

Nigel

Not a bad idea but potentially more hassle than popping in a DVD. Also I would think that 3 decent media players would cost a bit!

The Multimedia players are more useful in a general sense though, where the DVD player is pretty much restricted to the car.
Costwise, it depends on which kind you go for.
You could get semi-decent players for around £80 each, I would have thought.
Maybe not ipods, but the likes of Sony/Archos etc.
It's probably only a matter of time until they ask for them anyway.
One of our daughters has had her ipod since she was 6, and she was using my itouch to watch movies in the car at 4!:D

I'd test this first. My daughter gets seriously car sick if she uses a DS or PSP (even if just watching movies) but when watching a headrest-mounted DVD she is fine.

I think it's all to do with being able to see the outside and therefore, the brain can make sense of the car movements.

Some people suffer, some don't.

Cheers,

Nigel

My lad gets that, he barfed all over his Leapster and goes green if he uses his DS in the car. My daughter has no problems at all. :rolleyes:

They're both fine watching headrest mounted stuff.

We had a NextBase DVD tablet (Very good) in the car for a while and now have some god awful twin screen thing from Argos. I'd suggest getting something that can play a different movie on each screen (rather than a single player, multi screen setup) as the rows over Barbie vs Thunderbirds get worse as they get older. :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom