1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In Car DAB

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by jb9, Mar 28, 2003.

1. jb9

jb9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has anyone out there got/tried in car DAB, such as the Blaupunkt Woodstock? If so, what are your views on it.......... i.e. is it any good, or do you suffer from constant signal breakup etc.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    We had a Clarion system in our vehicel at work. It was much better than analogue radio, pretty much brilliant receptionall over the south/south-east.

DAB really comes into it's own in cars, your don't get the aweful volume changing on MW stations and now hissing on FM. It's well worth it.

Ford are now (or very soon) having DAB tuners fitted to all their cars as standard.

3. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'VE heard good things about that Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB tuner...though never had the pleasure of trying it out...

4. Fairzo

Fairzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had the Woodstock in for a few weeks and overall very pleased with it although having a bit of trouble getting to grips with the MP3 side. The DAB is superb when the signal is available but it's very frustrating when it disappears all to frequently. Hopefully transmissions will improve in the future.

5. MartinB

MartinB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the Blaupunkt Woodstock, and love it.
    It's an early one, so it did have problems with dropping out on BBC muxes, not much of a problem for me as I tend to listen to rock music stations, but a bit irritating none the less. A quick call to customer support a few weeks ago, after reading that there was a fix available, and they arranged for it to be picked up and taken away for a software upgrade. It was picked up 2 days after calling them at 5pm, and back to me within 6 days, so a big thumbs up from me for that. They have also modified (ie removed a huge chunk of plastic from) the area around the connectors on the removable panel so that it makes better contact, on several occasions the display had gone blank before it went back, but since it was modified, I've had no re-occurance.

It's very easy to use the DAB, once you've scanned the muxes, you can move between muxes with the up and down keys, and between stations on a mux with the left and right. My only criticism would be the lack of traffic info on DAB as I believe it turns off the FM when DAB's in use, unlike the Pioneer I had in my previous car (but in all other respects the Pioneer was inferior). You can turn the text scrolling off for mp3s and DAB, but I don't find them distracting and it's nice to know what's playing when you're stuck in traffic.

Oh, and apart from having to run in the cable for the glass mount antenna, it was a simple swap with the original stereo.

Martin.