In Car Dab radio

kingmonkey69

Standard Member
I here pure are now doing a car dab radio for £69.99. Can anyone say whether they own one and if the quality is consistant as i imagine moving constantly in a car would cause signal disruptio. Thanks all.

Sonic67

Banned
I have an in car DAB. The head unit is a Blaupunkt Nashville DAB47 and the DAB aerial is hidden inside the rear bumper. The FM aerial is still on the roof of the car. The DAB aerial hangs onto the signal really well and there's none of the interference of FM.

Pure Highway might not be ideal. I think the aerial is inside the car and you'd need to take it with you when you leave or it might get robbed. I'm already taking the tomtom etc.

malkit

I here pure are now doing a car dab radio for £69.99. Can anyone say whether they own one and if the quality is consistant as i imagine moving constantly in a car would cause signal disruptio. Thanks all.
I recently looked at the pure highway too but was put off by the fact it uses fm transmission with no wired line out to playback over your car stereo. This seems to me to defeat the point of having an in car dab.This fm method I have found in the past with itrip devices etc to produce very disappointing results sound quality wise.It seems a big oversight on a device like this not to have a line out.

Doric

Standard Member
I've had the Pure Highway (£69 from John Lewis) for about a month. Satisfied user if you stick to the rules:

• Spend time figuring out where to mount the unit.
  • Dry mount the aerial (with blutack) until you're sure where to put it.
  • Don't worry if the leads don't reach to the desired spot - you can get an extension lead for the cigarette socket easily
  • Have at least 2 FM presets dedicated to the Pure - one for near home and one for a common long-distance route.
    • Take enough time to hide the wires behind the fascia. It's a fiddly job but the result can be excellent.
I find sound quality is good, although you do have to be prepared to change FM frequencies on long journeys. Hence the need to have at least a couple of different presets.

Major plus of the unit is the cricket and Five Live in crystal clear quality. Also BBC7 and a few random DAB pop channels.

ralphmalph

Novice Member
Malkit,

My pure highway has a line out it also has a line in as well.

I plug it direct into my car stereo works a treat

nedmundo

I have one of these and love it for it's simplicity of installation. As long as you are in an area of reasonable reception, it works surprisingly well.

Upholder

Novice Member
I connect my Garmin Zumo SatNav to the Highway, this allows me to hear directions and play mp3's as well as dab radio... Great piece of kit... but be prapered for drop outs on longer journeys.. If you are going to use it as a pocket Dab then buy rechargeable batteries as battery life is very low..

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom