In Car Audio Kit - Advice needed please

bazzagazza

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm brand new to AV Forums and I hope you guys can offer me some advice please. I'm just about to buy some serious audio kit for my car but I don't really know enough about the subject in order to make some good judgments.

In basic terms I need some kit that knocks your ears off when played at very high volume and retains the quality of sound and also does not distort when heavy bass kicks in. So I guess I need recommendations for sub-woofer , amplifier, speakers, headunit etc. and anything else you can recommend.

I drive a rover 75 which is not a hatchback. I don't know if that makes a difference for the placement of the sub-woofer as the rover is a saloon, so what happens with the sub-woofer sound, can you still hear it OK when placed in a boot rather than a hatchback ? Also, I think the headset is built into the car rather than being a separate unit so is it the case that the headunit should remain in place if possible ?

I'm expecting to pay somewhere between £600 - £800 for the kit so what good quality kit can I get for my money ? Is it worth considering buying second hand kit or is that fraught with problems.

Is it worth buying the stuff on the Internet to save money then getting a professional company to fit it or do most companies want to do supply and fit ?

I live in Newcastle so any recommendations on where to go would be helpful although I appreciate that is a bit of a long shot on a natioinal forum like this.

Any independent advice would be most appreciated. Thanks

Derek

I asked a similar question when I was going to upgrade some of ice and was recommended going with a pair of component speakers up front and a sub and a decent 3 channel amp to power it all.

Audison 3 channel amp. If that's too dear have a look at the JBL GTO75.4.

For components have a look at DLS, Rainbow, Focal, RE and Infinity at around £90 to £220 a pair. I've heard the Focals and Rainbows are particularly good at around £90.

For a headunit, I don't think you go far wrong by sticking to Alpine (especially if you want to hook it up to an ipod). I used to have a Kenwood and hated it (sounded a looked awful) and now have a JVC DVD unit, which is great. Pioneer are also pretty good and if you don't like the bells and whistles style of head unit (flashing lights and loads of buttons) take a look at Becker or Nakamichi (££££s). You can get becker units from the becker store on ebay pretty cheap and they're standard fitment on Aston's, Porsche etc. (my mate has one in his TT). You will also need to budget for wiring, iso and facia adaptors for fitting the headunit, and maybe some soun deadening material.
Rover 75 fitting adaptors

I'll leave the subs to folks that know more about them. I have a 12" sub fitted to a stealthbox enclosure as my boot is pretty small. It does the job for now.

You will save a fortune buying it online and fitting it yourself but if that's not your thing, find a decent dealer that sells a few brands and see what the recommend for your money.

Hi,

New to this idea of adding non factory kit to a car.

Just today I was discussing with a local supplier what to get for my sons car and he pointed me in the direction of a Focal system that apparently is one of a few on the market that works properly with the cars existing head unit and has all the kit to add amps, subs etc and power the sub and speakers off the amp. It is on special for supply and fit for £499 when supply only for kit is £500. I am getting it done tomorrow and will let you know my thoughts.

Cheers

Hi,

New to this idea of adding non factory kit to a car.

Just today I was discussing with a local supplier what to get for my sons car and he pointed me in the direction of a Focal system that apparently is one of a few on the market that works properly with the cars existing head unit and has all the kit to add amps, subs etc and power the sub and speakers off the amp. It is on special for supply and fit for £499 when supply only for kit is £500. I am getting it done tomorrow and will let you know my thoughts.

Cheers

How did you get on with this? I would have thought that you would be able to use your exisiting headunit if it had the necessary pre-outs for connection to an amp? Further to the OP's original ? take a look at some of the of the promo deals like this one. Look good to me.

Hi,

I'm brand new to AV Forums and I hope you guys can offer me some advice please. I'm just about to buy some serious audio kit for my car but I don't really know enough about the subject in order to make some good judgments.

In basic terms I need some kit that knocks your ears off when played at very high volume and retains the quality of sound and also does not distort when heavy bass kicks in. So I guess I need recommendations for sub-woofer , amplifier, speakers, headunit etc. and anything else you can recommend.

I drive a rover 75 which is not a hatchback. I don't know if that makes a difference for the placement of the sub-woofer as the rover is a saloon, so what happens with the sub-woofer sound, can you still hear it OK when placed in a boot rather than a hatchback ? Also, I think the headset is built into the car rather than being a separate unit so is it the case that the headunit should remain in place if possible ?

I'm expecting to pay somewhere between £600 - £800 for the kit so what good quality kit can I get for my money ? Is it worth considering buying second hand kit or is that fraught with problems.

Is it worth buying the stuff on the Internet to save money then getting a professional company to fit it or do most companies want to do supply and fit ?

I live in Newcastle so any recommendations on where to go would be helpful although I appreciate that is a bit of a long shot on a natioinal forum like this.

Any independent advice would be most appreciated. Thanks

Derek

I am selling my kit. Its in the for sale section. Its all top quality jbl gti woofers phoenix zero point 5 am all for £1k. If you come to bradford i will have it fitted in your car for nowt too.
( we charge £200 for instlation only).

You will get 2x jbl gti woofers ( 1k watt each)
1x phoenix gold amp zero point 5 ( running 600 watt rms @ 0.5 ohm/100 amps)
30 band audio bahn eq + remote base on off
computer designed box for woofers ported
all wires cables + 1.5 farhad cap.

It was al bought by me and installed by me. Its floating on the for sale non av section and if you are interested i could dig it up.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom