Question In a new build house with a shared wall. What kind of sub is best?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by DooMagA, Jun 18, 2019.

1. DooMagA

DooMagA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've been looking at subwoofers to pair with the Dali Oberon 5 or XTZ Spirits I am intending to buy.

Been looking at the SVS 1000/2000 and also the XTX 12.17 edge

It's got me wondering about whether sealed or ported is going to be best in my 3.3m x 5.5m room that has it's back wall shared with my neighbor's house.

I want to be a courteous neighbor, and also not spend 500-800 on a subwoofer that I can never turn up.

It is a new build from one of the higher end builders. I am aware that whilst the houses are conjoined, it isn't sharing the same block wall. As in from my living room it goes plasterboard, block, air gap, their block, their plaster.
    With i assume insulation thrown in throughout.

As my usage is movies/games i believe I've seen that I should get a ported sub for that extra volume and impact. However I'm wondering if I can only have my sub pumping out a certain volume before its rattling my neighbor's house, it may be better to get a sealed sub to get that tighter, faster response if I'm not going to be able to crank it anyway.

My current plan is to actually introduce myself to my neighbor's and then ask to borrow them for 15 minutes to have them listen in their home as I gradually increase volume and see what point they say they can start being disturbed by it, and then agree with them not to go above it.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Would it make sense to go sealed instead? Would something ported be worth it if I bung the ports most of the time. But can un-bung them if neighbor's go on holiday or whatever.

I could order both the SB1000 and the XTX 12.17 and just compare the 2. But would love input from people more experienced than me.

Cheers

2. andym81

andym81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Only way to really find out is when you decide what sub you want,play some music at your normal listening level and go round your neighbor's.

I'd go sealed in a small room imo they sound better and you'll get room gain. I own an sb and pb 2000 in a similar sized room. The sb 2000 has more slam and impact

3. DooMagA

DooMagA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is the SB2000 worth the £300 extra over the 1000? I dont like that they used to be 650 and have since jacked price up to 800.

4. b1g1an

b1g1an

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
  5. andym81

andym81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Unfortunately svs is more expensive these days but if these are your preferred choices then go for the sb 2000. Theres a couple on ebay that are a year old if I remember.

I'd also check out arendal as there sub is the same price as the sb 2000 but you'll get more bang for your money

6. DooMagA

DooMagA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would welcome any other alternatives if you dont like the SVS.

7. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    12.17 Edge is still great sub, better overall performance vs. SB2000 and much cheaper for you. Sanjualf has owned both and XTZ was noticeable jump, he even bought two of them after selling 15" sealed PSA (1300£) sub. You have the 30day buy&try if there would be any port noise which you were scared about, although that won`t happen with moderate listening levels. Both SVS and XTZ has 5year amp warranty!

I wouldn`t worry about the neighbour. It´s not like you have to be quiet at day time / early evening in your own house. Nonsense. The sub isn`t going on the wall which is shared by neighbours and likely the walls aren`t made of paper either. You are worrying too much.

12.17 Edge isn`t boomy, slow, un-controlled, loose. The way owners and reviews have described it, it`s very much the opposite. Some 150£ vented subs can be poor (which you own), but not the more expensive ones. You also have good subwoofer eq with the receiver so it should sound very fine when you have placed it optimally.

You crave that matte black:

[​IMG]

8. DooMagA

DooMagA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You absolutely know I crave the matte black.

9. basserphil

basserphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    i live in a detached coach-house kinda flat ( new build with acoustic insulation)...its detached all around , with a 3 metre gap to the next door neighbour....they complained about my subwoofer and its just a bogstandard q acoustics floor stander, had to reposition it to the other end of my living room, they are still not happy.....dont spend a lot of money just yet....make sure your neighbours cant hear hardly anything....or your gonna be spending a lot of money on something your cant turn up above 2 on the volume.

10. Bone9

Bone9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Check out BK Electronics subs too.