In a bit of a quandary

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dlemon, Feb 12, 2014.

1. dlemon

dlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all, in a bit of confusion now long story short, I had an onkyo 609 and it went faulty (HDMI) so I returned it to my local store, they sent it away for repairs and I asked for a loan unit, then lent me a Denonx2000 (£100 deposit) which I have had for nearly 3/4 weeks now, I called in to ask how was the repairs was going and they said it needed more parts which were not in stock and it was getting to the point of uneconomical repair, so they said it was looking like I would MAYBE get a full credit on it (£409.00 another week or so), so without getting my hopes built up I have £409 + the £100 deposit and I might put a few quid to it and get a decent receiver, but there are so many to choose from in the £600+ Category, if anybody had any views or recommendations I would gladly take them on board.
    Thanks

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    What speakers do you have?
    Any features you particularly want or need?

3. dlemon

dlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have kef 3005se (eggs) package, feature wise I'm not that fused on the amount of hdmi's as I only have a Panasonic 230 bluray,
    Ps 3 (fat & never used)
    Sky hd,
    Apple TV (still don't know how to use)
    And Panasonic gt 50" TV
    But I think I do value a bit sound quality, i do like punchy tight bass, not the bass that rumbles on & on and it sounds like a cheap system with the bass turned up full on everything lol, have you any recommendations in mind,

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    You could look at something like the Yamaha 1075 but not sure you really need to spend that much on a receiver since it would really deserve better speakers to get the most from it. Hence I would be tempted by the Yamaha 675 or Onkyo 626 or Denon X2000 or Sony 1040 for example.

5. dlemon

dlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Would I be correct in saying they all seem to be a low to middle of the road option, as my brand/model of speakers would not justify spending any more on an receiver

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    The receivers I mention are consistent with the quality of your speakers. You could spend more if you wanted but you would not get the best from a better receiver. If you are looking to upgrade the speakers in the near future then it may be worth spending more on the receiver otherwise stick with a mid range receiver as suggested.