In 2022, Htpc, mini mac or tv box for watching movies?

Markosm70

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi to everyone

I'd like your expertise on the following situation:
I own three old different TV boxes: one for IPTV MAG 250 for English Channels, another H96 for Netflix, YouTube and internet and the last one (no name) to receive the national channels. This is so baffling at time for the rest of the members of the family and inconvenient for me. So, I was wondering how to get all the above working using just one gadget. Has anyone ever done it?
I thought of HTPC, miniMac or a new android TV Box. Will any of these solve my issue here?
Attention, I want the gadget to be able to perform the following:
1) Listen from my private music collection of 48Tb NAS server (flac, mp3, aac, ecc)
2) listen internet radio, like RadioGarden app
3) Listen from Tidal app
4) Play 2D and 3D Games with friends (like Arcade, Tomb Raider)
5) Watching Netflix, YouTube and Internet browsing
6) Watching IPTV (English Channels)
7) Watching Movies in 4K or 3D with 7.1 surround sound or via streaming (Netflix, Amazon, etc) or via Blue Ray - DVD player.

Thank you in advance

I'm not sure one device will do it all. Htpc seem to struggle keeping up these days, probably worse now the new intel chips won't do UHD.

So I would favor a media player. A shield might do the gaming side so I would investigate there.

Apple TV might cover other aspects such as Netflix and or a vero4k+ for the films music.

What format are the films? Are you going to rip to nas. If keeping with disc then probably need a disc player. Do you need atmos Dolby Vision HDR etc?

Some devices might do several things but not necessarily the best quality but you might be able to add more devices later to cover anything perceived as substandard.

Hopefully I'm ill informed and there is a magical device. If there is, I might get one myself.

I'm not sure one device will do it all. Htpc seem to struggle keeping up these days, probably worse now the new intel chips won't do UHD.

So I would favor a media player. A shield might do the gaming side so I would investigate there.

Apple TV might cover other aspects such as Netflix and or a vero4k+ for the films music.

What format are the films? Are you going to rip to nas. If keeping with disc then probably need a disc player. Do you need atmos Dolby Vision HDR etc?

Some devices might do several things but not necessarily the best quality but you might be able to add more devices later to cover anything perceived as substandard.

Hopefully I'm ill informed and there is a magical device. If there is, I might get one myself.
Thank you Garry557 for your help. Indeed htpc does not process uhd. What i understood is that i need to change amplifier because i have the Marantz sr9200, which does not have HDMI and USB.
So I'm looking in Marantz or Denon

I'm not 100% sure, but if you have a read on the blurb for PowerDVD, you'll see with their most recent software, you can cast to something like Roku. You'll need to fully read about it, but in theory, my understanding is it should just streaming the footage from the main source to the Roku wirelessly. Haven't tried it at home though as I use .ISO files and these don't work. So, make sure you use the correct file types to be on the safe side if you go down this option

Thank you Garry557 for your help. Indeed htpc does not process uhd. What i understood is that i need to change amplifier because i have the Marantz sr9200, which does not have HDMI and USB.
So I'm looking in Marantz or Denon
Even if you get a new amp, what will you use to plug into it to meet your requirements?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom