1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Impulse buy of a Loewe Spheros.....

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Chriswc, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Chriswc

Chriswc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning all!
    Passed the shop, saw the Loewe Spheros 37hd/dr+ in the window and on an absolute whim went in and bought it for £3k - it is very pretty all in shiny black and with a motorised stand!
    Is being delivered and installed today but am left with a nagging question over have I spent my money wisely?
    Obvious answer is no but life is to short to worry about mere money but am interested in other more competent souls views on the merits of this display.
    What do you think?

2. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great display, but way overpriced.

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Fantastic display, I don't think you will regret it. IMHO, it still puts the new boys on the block to shame - the optics are just great. Great price, it probably would have set you back £6-£7k this time last year but I wouldn't bother with the D-TV/D-Sat and DR+ options that all Spheros' seem to have been spec'ced with.

4. Chriswc

Chriswc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had my Spheros delivered yesterday and wow does it look good!
    Only problem is....
    The guy who delivered and installed it knew lots about speakers but b*!#er all about Loewe LCDs!
    Have spent the rest of the day/night re-doing everything but I dont know that much as well.
    Will be on the phone Monday to demand a re-visit from them to do the job properly or I will be returning the set under their 10-day returns policy.
    A shame really as when you buy from a proper dealer and buy a quality item you expect a standard of customer service that is way above this.
    Wish me luck....

5. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Where did you buy the spheros from? Sounds like a great deal

6. sean5302

sean5302
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Obvious answer is no but life is too short to worry about mere money

Oh, really?

Please post your bank account details, then.

In terms of your purchase, you've said it all.

You know you've bought an overpriced item. Look at Panasonic's offerings and weep.

7. Borgy

Borgy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    one word overpriced, get and Equivalent probably better screen for less or the same price as you've paid :( nevermind its done now lol

8. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi,
    get it isf calibrated !

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Was the installer from Loewe or from the Shop. If you buy a Loewe TV you should expect a Loewe installer to fit it up for you. Don't expect it to be calibrated for you but you should have a fully functional and configured unit.

Don't worry about other people comments about price. You got it at a great price - you paid for BMW engineering whilst others are happy with that of Ford - reliability is another matter. Newer does not always mean better. Its quite funny listening to peoples gripes that their brand new TV does not do this, or that whilst the Spheros will do it with ease.

10. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Very nice looking display - not had much time with one in the flesh but i would be interested to know how much better this Loewe is compared to the likes of the jVC37DS6 and Tosh37WLT58... I have read three reviews on this model and it got 10, 10 and 9.5.... pretty impressive - show us some pics :lease:

11. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I've got two Panasonic plasmas. I'd still walk into B&O and buy something though. Don't be so touchy!

12. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    if chriswc has bought an overpriced product.
    then i'm curious, what is there for him to really compare to?

13. Chriswc

Chriswc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments.
    The installer was from the Loewe dealers shop in Portsmouth and was a boffin on speakers/HiFi. On mature reflection, my previous comments were a bit harsh on his abilities - I just assumed that he would be an expert and that he would run rings around my knowledge. I have since spent an enjoyable couple of hours re-doing the set up which is quite easy to do using the Loewe set up menus. For my ease of use and lack of experience, I have put Sky into my Panasonic SCHT1500 which is then fed into the Loewe av box and the same for my XBox. All works well. On the question of price paid, I am happy to spend that amount of money on a quality bit of kit that will last me. My old tv was a Panasonic TX32PG50 which cost me £1659 in 2002 - the tube went two weeks ago.
    I viewed the tvs in B&O and was impressed with the design and build quality - the pictures also looked very good and the shop staff were impressive. I then happened to pass the Loewe dealers shop and was also impressed with them. My wife and I preferred the Loewe look hence the decision to purchase. I assumed given the price and the overall buying experience in the shop that this was a good, solid and dependable tv. My initial question was posed as, unusual for me, I had not checked out my purchase beforehand in a magazine or on-line. I have done so since and am happy.
    The picture quality is excellent to my untrained eye with sky movies really coming to life. Lots of design features and build quality also really impress with absolutely no silver painted plastic on show.
    I will post a picture or two later for your enjoyment!

14. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    superb choice.
    Hi,
    I am very wary of piggy backing too many pieces of equipment but it depends what media box you have. I have the older 3 scart, 1 component, 1 DVI 1 VGA set up which is very versatile. However like you I do piggy back sky via my component outputing dvd player while making a secondary sky to AV3 scart RGB connection drectly to the media box. Why? Because though mathematically I still get the same amount of info from my sky signal by either route aesthetically the picture via component is sublime. The only con is that my DR will not record component signals so timeslip wont work. Thus, I tend to watch crap via AV3 scart eg match of the day but movies via component. I am not sure what you mean by callibration but I find the component brighter than RGB so I have cheated and left factory preferences for RGB scart but have used a dimmer personal setting for component-2 button clicks and it is sorted.
    Is this what you mean?
    Overall I have had this TV 8 months and I am still discoveriing features- some hate that organic learning curve personally it keeps me intrigued!!Let me know if I can help otherwise.
    Shuggy
    Ps dont get involved in the My electrons better than yours arguments. Yes it is pricey but you have bought 360 degree design and it is unavoidable that high end design comes at a price. It amazes me that people can be so interested in the picture -important certainly, but disinterested in the form. so dont weep smile confidently. I personally would have a mercedes SLR over a nissan skyline even though it is slower!!