1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improving Your Sub Woofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by cbkia, Dec 27, 2003.

1. cbkia

cbkia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, change the internal wirings!

After I bought my Definitive ProSub 100TL, I was terribly disappointed at the power cord. Its those type you will find on the cheapest stuff. When I open up the sub to take a look inside, the internal wirings sucks too!

I decided to change the wirings to some decent stuff. In my country, Belden is about the only decent brand available. I bought 12AWG solid core cable (I feel a single thick strand of copper is better is multiple thin strands for power) and some 14AWG cables meant for biamping (4 wires, each 14AWG).

I also added an IEC socket with noise filter. This is the toughest part as there aren't any IEC socket, I have to use a file and slowly create a hole big enough for the socket to go thru.

One of the capacitor was replaced as I didn't like the brand. Its a luxon 470 micro farad rated at 25V. I bought a chemicon low leakage to replace it.

After about 2 days of hard work. I power it up and....wow! The sound is different. The bass is tigher. Transients are more pronounce and it goes deeper and louder at the same volume.