Improving wireless signal

gazmond

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have just had my Virgin Broadband upgraded to 60mb and had need hub installed today. Problem is that the router is located at the front of my house (bungalow) but our main computer/laptop use is at the back of the house (living room). I have a develo wireless extender (plug into the mains type) but am only getting 1-2mb on this.

Apart from getting my access point moved to the back of the house, any ideas on how to improve the signal?

Thanks

just a quick update realised my develo extender plug was plugged into a socket on a different ring main but even so still "only" getting just about 6mb after changing socket

You don't report your observed signal RSSI's, but it's unlikely to be a wi-fi "signal" issue if changing sockets effects an improvement.

Much more likely is poor performance over the HomePlug link. You could do worse than read the "HomePlugs" FAQ in this forum for tips and possibly the "Wi-fi issues" FAQ if you think it's a wi-fi issue.

But if that makes no difference, there's little else you can do but to put it "proper" network cables for the backhaul between wi-fi outpost and your router.

BTW, what are you using to measure performance with?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom