• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Improving wireless signal in a wired house

tboz

Standard Member
Hi - newbie and network novice here so please be gentle
I have a house with cat 5 wiring and lan ports in every room.

Set up is Cable modem connected to Dlink 615 router connected to netgear switch which then provides connections to all the lan ports around the house. The Dlink router is also wireless and so provides wireless connectivity where needed.

Problem is the router is at the front of the house and the wireless signal at the back of the house is patchy / non existent. (My house is not that big but has a few steel girders in the back extension which really kills the signal).

What is the best way to improve the signal at the back of the house?

Is there something I can plug into a lan port at the back of the house?

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

themediaman

I would think you could get a similar wireless cable router and plug that in to your LAN port at the back of the house............

You would then disable DHCP on the this router and give it the same SSID as your DLINK 615, but set it to broadcast on a channel 3 frequencies away from the DLINK 615............eg........615 - channel 1, other router - channel 6 or even 11.....

the same SSID will enable your wireless devices to roam, this terminology I only came across recently, but theoretically, two different wireless networks (SSID) could exist and your devices could possible switch between them, but I think the signal would need to drop all together for it then to connect to the signal at the back of the house........

how bad is the signal..........?

Last edited:

themediaman

Please ignore the previous advice to use a second wireless cable router. A second router in domestic setting would only add needless complication.

Agreed, I assume this device is pretty much plug and play............?

AMc

Distinguished Member
Set up is Cable modem connected to Dlink 615 router connected to netgear switch which then provides connections to all the lan ports around the house. The Dlink router is also wireless and so provides wireless connectivity where needed.

As you have a cable modem and separate router you could potentially move the router into another room and simply patch the WAN port of the router back to the cable modem keeping it completely separate from any other network wiring (i.e. don't go through the Netgear switch).

I have a separate ADSL modem and router and by moving my router from one side of a wall into the next room and patching back the WAN connection to the modem I solved a wireless blankspot towards the back of the house.

Should be cheap/free to try.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom