Improving WiFi Upstairs with AP or Powerline ?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by topgazza, Jul 10, 2018 at 4:22 PM.

Tags:
  1. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,497
    I have an area upstairs that is not great for Wifi... its OK but not great. I want a more consistent WiFi and have a hard wired run to my iMac from the router. Can I plug that into a small 4 port switch and run a Cat cableout to an AP as a solution to cover upstairs?

Or should I just use a powerline pair ? I put a TP Link WPA4226 kit in my daughters Uni house and she get great WiFi now in what was a poor spot.

Ap is around £80-100 and TPLink is around £50 but I am more concerned with performance. I would mount the AP in my study on a wall

2. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +574
    Yes. Although small switches are usually 5 port. It's worth paying the extra for a Gigabit one (even if you don't need that at the moment). Here's an example.

The TP-Link kit you mention *is* an AP (Access Point), it's just connected via your mains wiring rather than a direct ethernet cable. You'll get better performance from a wired (via a switch) AP than from one linked via Powerline technology. However, if all you want is internet connectivity via WiFi, the Powerline solution may be simpler.

3. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,587
    This is by far the best way to do it.

If you wanted to save on a "box" and the location is convenient, you might consider using a "crippled" SOHO router as a combination switch/AP in the outpost locale, (even better if you have an old router lying around, as it could potentially cost you nothing.) There's a few hoops to jump through to cripple a SOHO router as required, but it's not difficult and is described in the "Using Two Routers Together" FAQ pinned in this forum.

4. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,497
    Thanks cjed.

And yes, I would get a gigabit switch to be on the "safe" side. Good tip

I think the issue is either cabled AP of just use the TP Link. As I get an OK signal as is I might as well try the TP Link as a cheaper option just to give me that better performance upstairs. If that doesnt do what I want I can always go for a seperate AP..Uquititi probably

5. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,497
    My instinct was to go for the cabled AP mick. I mught well buy both from Amazon and send the one back I dont want. In some respects the cabled is easier than the TP Link due to spare sockets

6. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,587
    All Wi-Fi is availed by "AP's" in one form or another - things like HomePlugs and SOHO routers just happen to have an AP built into a box that does other things too - there's nothing particularly "magic" about stand alone AP's versus ones included in HomePlugs and SOHO routers (and phones, and printers, and servers, and, and, and...)

BUT: :D There's AP's and AP's:- some are most decidedly more feature rich and perform better/worse than others. There's nothing for it but to trawl the spec. sheets. (Though some SOHO manufacturers seem to be a bit coy about the amount of information that provide.)

7. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,497
    I have a Billion BIPAC 7300N which is "N" compliant. I'll have a read up but assume I can connect the cat6 straight to the router and out to my iMac as a "switch" and with a bit of a play broadcast the WiFi upstairs as an AP. I'll read that sticky

8. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,587
    You should be able to. The LAN ports in a SOHO router are a built in ethernet switch.