Improving the sky?

Paulie-W

Sometimes (well most of the time with me anyway) when taking shots, especially like yesterday with a really hazy sky, it seems to blow out badly, (tree pics on my last upload) even when its not. Is there a way to improve this, or is it just one of those pain in the arse things that we all have to put up with?

tontoshorse

You could try a graduated ND filter, which is darker on the top half. This helps to "under" expose the sky when correctly exposing the land.

Or try bracketing (multiple photograph with slightly different exposures) and/or HDR.

Paulie-W

You could try a graduated ND filter, which is darker on the top half. This helps to "under" expose the sky when correctly exposing the land.

Or try bracketing (multiple photograph with slightly different exposures) and/or HDR.
Cheers mate :smashin:
Well the filter option seems easiest, but i`ll have to look into the bracketing thing. Never been too keen on HDR from what ive seen in the mags and online.

grantsteve

Try having a look through some of Allymac's stuff. He combines multiple exposures to get the exposure right for each part of the shot, and IMO they look pretty darn good.