• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Improving the pan of a budget tripod

pauld346

Standard Member
I 100% agree that the solution to a decent pan on a tripod is to pay for a decent tripod ... prob with a fluid head. But...are there any tips for improving the pan of a budget head that pans but is a little sticky?

I have a budget Manfrotto tripod (mkc3-h01) and am wondering if lubricating the ball with a light oil might help. I use a small light camcorder so I don't think not gripping when tightened would be a problem.

Anyone done this or have any tips? Thanks

12harry

Distinguished Member
As I read this Manfrotto has a ball head with a "pistol-grip" style pan handle. I'm none too sure this suits video. +It's a very low price compared with their better video tripods.
As to lubricating, I suggest you contact Manfrotto, to see if they rec. anything - as I'd expect something really thick/sticky will be needed. But before that; check that the ball and cup are perfectly spherical . . . sometimes there are residual moulding marks that can make the camera jerk, however smoothly you move. If anyone knows a cure do tell. This problem is eliminated when metal parts are machined - but that costs.

Then come back with the news gd/bad and how it's affected yr filming.
It may help to find a local panorama that you can film. This should include a commentary giving details of the Mod (or not) giving you an unbiased take of the changes.

However, I wonder if you've "balanced" yr camcorder (with battery) so it is neutral as the ball is loosened. If it has a definate "pull" (Up, or Down) that will induce jerkiness, given half a chance.
+If there is no provision, then you'll have to add weights yourself - a bit DIY but should help - and easily removed.

Last edited:

petet66

Established Member
One of the difficulties using a ball head for video is the universal motion which makes it tricky to pull off a smooth pan or tilt. The freedom of movement of the ball means you need a steady hand to achieve a level even pan. Conversely cheap pan and tilt video heads are usually great in those two directions but not so good if you try to combine the motions to follow a diagonal path.

I did some research to try to get a few more months out of my ageing pan/tilt faux fluid head and one of the suggestions was lithium grease which is a bike lubricant. I haven't had a chance to pick some up yet but will let you know how I get on.

Last edited:

12harry

Distinguished Member
pete66 - yes sure agree that a ball is really unsuitable but didn't like to say. My manfrotto has a 70mm ball to get the head "level" (using the bubble) and then you use the pan/tilt - but I'm not sure a thin lubricant (as for bikes) will help - you should (?) be aiming for more-drag - hence a thick grease should be better . . . I've a tin of "underwater Grease" and it's pretty thick, but not much use for Bikes, other than protecting the handlebars against the rain!
However, my fluid head works perfectly well as-is . . . so I'd be wary of mixing "lubricants" . . . . What might be a better answer (for OP), is a superfluid (sometime called smart-lube) which makes small parts move very slowly . . . I have a calculator which undoes the display cover to become a tilt-support - when you release the catch it unwinds quite slowly - so I'm guessing a special compound is present.

I'm not sure why Manfrotto introduced this model, except it has a certain "wow look" and that may be its only Plus-feature. . . . . perhaps OP should ask the M-Sales Team what they suggest for video for similar money . . . that answer might the instructive, eh?

Last edited:

Terfyn

Prominent Member
You really need a "fluid head" for your tripod. I have the Velbon DV7000. You need the fluid effect to get smooth pans. A tripod for still cameras is a waste of time as they are designed to be locked in one position for a still photo.

12harry

Distinguished Member
Agree #5.

However,
Can OP please let us know what they have done to date, in order to improve the tripod they have....?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom