1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improving stereo performance

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by CraigH, Sep 4, 2004.

1. CraigH

CraigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last year I purchased my first budget home cinema setup consisting of a Sony STR-DB790, Mordaunt Short Premier 5.1 speakers and Toshiba SD330 DVD player with help from various posts on this forum.

I am still enjoying my setup for movies but since reading a few reviews in What HiFi I am considering replacing my aging Technics HiFi with seperates to improve my stereo listening.

My question is, do you think I would be better spending my money on a full replacement CD player, amp and speakers or would I be able to integrate stereo playback into my existing Sony amp by adding a CD player and better stereo speakers to the fronts?

The equipment I have in mind is:

CD Players - NADC521 or Cambrideg Audio Azur 540/640C
    Amplifier (if the Sony AV amp wasn't suitable) - NAD C320BEE or CA Azur 540/640A
    Speakers - Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I would be best to do?

Thanks,

Craig Hynd

2. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    The HiFi equipment should sound a lot better than the AV stuff. Most AV amps can integrate a stereo amp but I am not sure about your Sony.

Whilst your list looks fine, I would not buy until you have listened to them, your ears are more important than the magazines reviews.

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The simple answer is yes you could add a CDP and new stereo speakers. I dont know how musical the sony is so I cant comment on that. I would strongly suggest you keep all the front 3 sepeakers the same make to keep the sonics the same between the front speakers so something out of the MS range would be best or replace all front 3.
    http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=302036
    :lesson:

4. CraigH

CraigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help guys. It does make sense as you say to match all of the front speakers and the MS914s you mention have certainly had good reviews. I'll try and get a listen to them with the Sony amp and make my decision from there.

5. oliver24

oliver24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont rule out the 904's they will match your Premier Plus systerm better if you are thinking of using them in a 7.1 enviroment as well as stereo

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    Spot on. All the MS drivers are designed to behave in a similar fashion but the jump between the 3in and the 6.5in will be noticeable compared to the 3in and 5.25in in the 904/6. A combination of 904 and perhaps a dedicated CD player would certainly improve things especially as HFC blind listening tests of amps proved that the Sony is no slouce in stereo.