1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improving RGB picture quality

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by calvinhobbes, Feb 2, 2005.

1. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I have a homechoice box that only has an RGB scart out. The PQ is not great and I want to improve it. I also have a Denon 2805 receiver that can upscale to component, and there seem to be 2 options:

1. Use an RGB > Component cable, which I understand would improve the quality of the signal itself, but then my Denon won't be able to improve the signal further.

2. Use an RGB > Composite cable (if this exists) and then use the Denon to upscale to component.

Any thoughts?

Also, question, what would I do with the sound from the RGB scart in either scenario?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    First thing to check - is the STB set to output RGB? If not you are just getting the basic composite signal. Also is the TV set to accept RGB?

RGB to component cable will not work as RGB and YUV component are not compatable with each other. This type of cable will only work on STB's that can output YUV component via their scart socket.

The other thing is that the Denon 3805 does not improve the video signal, but only does a conversion. So feeding composite will end up with a composite quality signal being output over the component cable.

If the best possible output is RGB then no matter what you do to the signal it is not going to get any better (unless you buy a video processor). If however the RGB input on your TV is the poor bit then you can get an RGB>YUV converter from www.js-technology.com that should help as you will then bipass the RGB input on your TV.

Mark.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,591
    calvinhobbes

I'll bet MarkE19 has it in his first sentence.

Also to clarify YUV is NOT an improvement over RGB - in fact its potentially a better signal than YUV in many set ups.

The one advantage you get with YUV in consumer land which leads the HiFi/Home Theatre trade to 'push' YUV so hard is its ability to pass a Progressive signal - only if the source has the ability to output Progressive mind.

You don't mention what Display technology your using and if its even capable of accepting a YUV signal.

If you do want to Improve your picture and you have the ability to input DVI/HDMI, RGBHV or YUV into your Display then your looking at a decent Video Processor - from DVDO, Lumagen or similar vendors; and a fair old chunk of cash outlaid in the process.

Best regards

Joe

4. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. My displays are a Pioneer MXE1 plasma and an HS50 projector, both fed via the receiver.

I guess the issue is that I don't think the receiver accepts RGB as it only has Y + PB/Cb/B-Y + Pr/Cr/R-Y, and I don't think my Plasma board has anyhting apart from Y +PB + Pr (PDA2004)?

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,591
    Calvinhobbes

How do you have the system wired?

Joe