improving reliability of orbitsound wireless sub

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by majorwedgy, Jul 24, 2018.

1. majorwedgy

majorwedgy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +107
      Hi guys,

I love a good old tinker and got annoyed when my wireless sub (model S1) connected to the Orbitsound M9 soundbar kept cutting out each time the door was open or a person walked through the door. So I thought I would write a quick note on how the wireless range and connection reliability can be improve drastically by recycling an external wireless antenna from an old router I had - this would work with an old desktop wireless card or anything where there is a screw on wireless antenna. The sub uses the 2.4ghz frequency and should work perfectly with an old wifi antenna.

You remove the amplifier plate from the rear of the sub by removing all the screws from the outer edge of the plate.
      You will find the wireless antena connected to a small module board on the rear of the plate, it runs along the length of the Bass port and is tapped in place, if you pull it gently at an angle it will cut through the tape and come off.

What you will find is a pretty poor excuse of a tiny aerial inside (hence terrible wireless connection stability), cut the wire behind the metal barrel (picture attached below) and drill a hole using a 6.5mm metal cutting drill bit - suggest using a 2.5mm bit first.

Once the hole is in place, you need to strip the wire back on the Aerial and on the old wifi aerial - this bit is fiddly because the centre core wire is very fragile. Also make sure you leave all the shielding in place and just push it back from the core.

Once wire is ready have 2 pieces of heat shrink ready slid over one of the wires, the first will seal the core the second will cover the core and shielding.

Solder both cores to each other then slide the first heat shrink piece over and shrink it, the solder the two pieces of shielding together and slide the second piece of shrink over and shrink.

Once all connected I would suggest screwing your aerial into the connector and checking to make sure it is all still working with the plate loosely slid back into place to prevent any accidents! If all is working screw the wireless connector in through the hold and reassemble the plate on the back of the unit.

You should not find that you get far less (if any) interrupted wireless sub issues going forward. Hope this helps someone.

2. majorwedgy

majorwedgy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +107
      Pictures

Attached Files: