Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Improving plasma picture

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by jmcarter, Aug 22, 2003.

1. jmcarter

jmcarter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Hitachi 42PMA400E plasma display connected to a Sky digibox and a Pioneer 444 DVD player using a RGB->YUV converter from Lektropacks.

Would i get a significantly better picture (esp. with regards to Sky) using the RGB->Component converter from js-technology, and would upgrading to a prolink component cable from a silverscreen make any difference?

Would another DVD player (such as the Pionneer 565 or 656) give a clearer, more detailed image, than i'm getting at present - when i've seen the plasma running in Richer Sounds, the picture looks pixel perfect.

Thanks in advance.

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    I'm using a Pioneer 545 DVD into a Panasonic 6 series using the John Sims RGB->VGA converter and I get a very good picture.

Will Richer Sounds lend you a DVD player to try at home (with a credit card imprint as guarantee)?

Cheers,
    Liam

3. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Richer sounds have a 7 day no quibble guarantee, unlike virtually all other retailers that don't seem to like you borrowing things just to have a look.

Comet for example will not even refund an item that does not work as described, well in my case anyway.

So buy from richer, then take it back within 7 days, no problem. If you decide to keep it buy the extended guarantee that gives you 50% of purchase price (to buy any other items), after 3 years.

Steve.

4. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Actually, my dealer is very happy for me to take kit home just to have a look. I've borrowed thousands of pounds worth of stuff over the years, and I guess I end up keeping about 1 in 3.

You might want to double-check the RS guarantee - I seem to remember that when I was looking at a Servo 15 sub, they said that they would give me a credit note rather than a cash refund if I didn't like it - they might have changed since then, though.

Cheers,
    Liam

5. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Liam,

Sorry about the confusion in my response.
    Most good dealers do provide this service.

Comet/currys/pc world etc do not allow refunds unless the goods are faulty. They may in some circumstances give credit notes.
    In the case of on-line retailers they will mostly charge 15 - 30 % restocking charge of any goods returned 'used'.

Regarding RS returns, I've actually used this 'facility' in the past and it involved a refund.
    It now states 'exchange' if not satisfied, so I'll have to bear this in mind as they don't always sufficient range of products if I don't like the one I purchased.

Thanks for correcting me,

Steve.:)

Edit - unless you buy online, then they offer refunds as long as the product is 'as new'.