1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improving on what I`ve got???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by disastermaster, Dec 31, 2002.

1. disastermaster

disastermaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I`ve just purchased a a cheap surround setup to go with my widescreen tv. I got from Richer Sounds the Sherwood RD-6103R av receiver and the Eltax Hollywood 5 surround speakers. My idea was to buy cheap now and if the system got well used to upgrade later.
    My initial immpression on the setup was good, especially with DVDs but rather less so when listening to music (mainly pop/rock).The top and midrange sound quite good but the bass sounds very loose and muddy. Would a sub take the bass away from the main speakers and give me an improvement or is a sub only for the really deep bass end rumbles ?
    The front speakers left/right are just on thick carpet, is it worth getting spikes or can I somehow `weigh` the speakers down ?

Am I just chasing rainbows with this setup or can I get more out of it? Any advise or comments would be helpfull.

PS. is there any difference using the coax-digital imput than the optical input on the receiver?

Cheers, Disastermaster.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Nope.

As for those speakers, yes, getting some spikes will help matters. Or get some concrete/granite slabs and use blu-tack between them and the speakers for better stability. As you say it is a budget setup, but every setup (even high-end kit) can be inproved with some tweaking. :) A good sub (around £400) may help a bit, but you would be better off spending the money on a new amp like Yam DSP630 or a Marantz 4300. Getting a cheaper budget sub is only likely to increase the muddy bass :( Avoid them.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The amp is the weakest link as budget AV amps are ok with movies but notoriously poor with music.

A sub will improve matters as they are not just for low end ooomph but as Nobber said, don't waste your money on a cheap sub as it will make things worse.

There are some good bargains in the Classifieds section

4. disastermaster

disastermaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys, so basically the weakest link that I have so far is the amp. mmmmmm as I mentioned I bought the amp from Richersounds, do they do any returns refund if you are not happy with the product even though it is not faulty? What amp would you recommend from Richersounds (any sub £200???).
    Thanks Disastermaster.

5. acs1

acs1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think RS refund within 7 days if you have problems with them...have returned a Sherwood 6108R before and replaced it with a Yamaha 530....the difference is staggering....
    You could try the Yamaha 620 for £199 the only problem is no prologic II if that it important to you, also the Yamaha 5540RDS for £209...believe it is the amp below mine with prologic II well worth a demo
    Hope this helps
    Adam

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You will still have the problem that a £200 AV Amplifier coupled with what is possibly a budget DVD player will not reproduce CD's very well.

7. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Goodbye. :D