Improving my Vectra

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by eviljohn2, Sep 6, 2005.

1. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    This is hypothetical at the moment but the sound in my V-reg Vectra leaves a little to be desired.

I'm wondering about either changing the head unit but absolutely don't want to lose the steering wheel controls or the OEM speakers but don't really want to install an amp since that would also involve changing the head unit.

Any thoughts on what might be the best way to go once I've paid for the tax, MOT and gotten the A/C fixed? I know that it's the traditional asking the impossible question but I'm not interested in full-blown ICE, just an improvement. :)

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Never ask an Omega driver how to improve a Vectra

There are display adaptors for various head units - eg www.connects2.co.uk is one site, I know that there are adaptors for Sony, my MD player could drive the CD Omega display, I haven't started upgrading my MV6 system but I will be fitting some new speakers.

Some VX head units have problems driving ordinary speakers.

I'd look at a decent head unit, display driver with control adaptor, mid range amp and good quality speakers.

But do try some decent speakers first - you may be able to drive them - look at Infinty components in the £100 area.

I will try my 605CS very soon!

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Thanks Martin, that's very interesting. I was resigned to losing the dashboard information but naturally want to keep the wheel controls. I wasn't aware that it was possible to do both although it's probably not that much of a problem as a replacement head unit would have a display anyway. I've currently got the OEM Delco CDR500 fitted and apparently I'm compatible with those Connects2 products.

New head unit is now looking like the first port of call which should provide a useful improvement in the OEM speakers anyway.

I have no interest in upgrading the rear speakers as I don't sit in the back and have them faded right down at the moment anyway so what would be the options for the front? I don't even know what's fitted at the moment and where might be good discrete fitting locations for a small amp if it's necessary?

Sorry for all of the questions peeps but there seems to be plenty of sensible knowledge here and hopefully people with the same ideas as I have rather than those demanding I fill up my boot with a sub. :)

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My old CD had a CDR500 and it is a bit pants, had problems driving Infinty speakers.

With ICE the usual suspects make safe buys, eg Sony, Pioneer, but add in Alpine, and a few others.

Speakers is a person business, but fit components with crossovers in OEM positions.

You can get adaptors at Halfords to fit decent speakers in the doors.

Not sure on Vectra but you could put a small amp in the dash area - try behind the glove box.Failing that under a seat

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Thanks again, under the seat passenger seat seems like a good option if a little tricky to fit. Presumably mounting an amp requires drilling into the car - what are the problems with corrosion related to that?

Also, are tweeters a standard size? It looks like I could fit a 16.5cm driver and tweeter into the door with the right mounting kit. Presumably I also need to worry about the depth of mounting as well so that the drivers actually fit into the door.

It would also be great if I could keep the OEM grills, is this going to be likely? :)