1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improving my experience

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Trickster, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Trickster

Trickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my PS2 for a couple of months now and need some advice on improving the picture quality and sound. I'm not very techie at this stuff.

I have the PS2 plugged into scart adapter thingie that it comes with, then into the TV. The picture quality is OK. But I notice whilst playing GT3 some things are quite blurred, especially any small text. What would be the best way to improve it?

Also I understand I need an optical cable to plug into my 5:1 speakers. Where is the best/cheapest place to get one?

Thanks

2. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you could get a optical cable from ebay, about £2-£3 quid or theres a forum sponsor
    tvcables.co.uk i think, very reasonably priced there too.

3. MikeyB

MikeyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As for the picture, do you mean you are using the scart adaptor with the 3 phono socets on it?

If so, you need to get yourself an RGB scart cable for it

4. Dunedin397

Dunedin397

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cable and adapter that comes with the PS2 aren't brilliant as it's a composite cable (yellow is video with the red & white being the stereo audio) with a SCART adapter. It won't matter if the SCART socket you're using is RGB capable or not, you'll only get a composite picture.

The first thing to do is get yourself an RGB SCART cable. This will give you a much better picture that's sharper with better colours. The only downside is that DVDs will display in green only (a copy protection device that Sony saw fit to add). If you do use your PS2 to play DVDs, get an SVideo cable. It's very close to RGB quality and you can use an SVideo to SCART adapter if your TV doesn't have a discrete SVideo socket but can take it via SCART.

If you're using a 4:3 TV then I'd definately recommend going to 16:9 as many games support 16:9 and it does make a difference.

If yo've already got an AV amplifier then you can get an optical cable to go from the PS2 to the amp to give you Dolby Pro Logic 2 for games (although some games supoprt the older Dolby Surround or Dolby Pro Logic) or Dolby Digital 5.1 for DVDs. You can get an optical cable from the big electrical stores or online sites such as Amazon, GamePlay, etc.

A good pair of headphones is also a good idea, I use headphones a fair amount and it's much more immersive than speakers IMHO.

Dunedin