improving laptop sound to headphones.

jcr71

Established Member
Reaction score
hi folks

id like to improve the sound quality/volume from my laptop(Acer nitro5) going into headphones. i use Philips Fidelio X2.
mostly i listen to music on youtube, but sometimes movies/tv.

i dont need portability, i just use the laptop at home.

thank you.

External headphone amp connected via the original 3.5mm headphone socket on the PC for an analogue signal although that depends on just how good your soundcard is on the PC (something I know nothing about). Your headphones are just 30 ohms so not hard to drive at all but a headphone amp will certainly improve your listening enjoyment.

HIDIZS S9 PRO is easily available at the moment.

Or similar.

I have the same headphones, and pair them with the ifi zen dac (v1), which is a very good pairing (there is one on classifieds here for £90; the v2 is apparently even better.

You’ve got a few options:

Take the line out from the laptop into a headphone amp (ifi Audio ZEN CAN headphone amp) or you can utilise digital out (USB) to a DAC with a built in headphone amp such as the iFi ZEN DAC V2 (ifi Audio ZEN DAC V2).

Both will significantly improve your experience - but you may find the output stage on the analogue side of your laptop to be of a lesser quality than if you used the DAC.

I’m running the Signature version out of my desktop Pc.

87736B35-A8E2-4FA7-8CB7-943845ACE40A.jpeg

This has eq

Here's some recommended eq for similar headphones.

My topping a50s and seinheiser hd650 sound just as good as my hifi

ive ordered the iFi ZEN DAC V2.
thank you for all the help folks.

ive ordered the iFi ZEN DAC V2.
thank you for all the help folks.
Any of the better usb DAC amplifiers will give you a huge lift, and you have chosen mid price, but excellent quality .. Enjoy. Your next concern should be in selecting good music player software .for when you store your music on the laptop

Any of the better usb DAC amplifiers will give you a huge lift, and you have chosen mid price, but excellent quality .. Enjoy. Your next concern should be in selecting good music player software .for when you store your music on the laptop
i have been thinking about joining a streaming service, but to be hones,t im quite happy just using youtube.

i have been thinking about joining a streaming service, but to be hones,t im quite happy just using youtube.
I hear you, and I often just enjoy TuneIn radio , where the improvements due to good DACs qnd headphones start to metter. But since you have invested in a good DAC , quality streaming from your own stash of music is the next phase of addiction.

I hear you, and I often just enjoy TuneIn radio , where the improvements due to good DACs qnd headphones start to metter. But since you have invested in a good DAC , quality streaming from your own stash of music is the next phase of addiction.
i have no idea how id do this? all my music is on cd and i dont even have a drive in the laptop.

i have no idea how id do this? all my music is on cd and i dont even have a drive in the laptop.
Well not having a cd drive is a problem , but there are plenty of USB external ones available ...even in second hand. I wrote something a long time ago on avforums on using EAC a free PC program for ripping .What is different with the EAC compared to a CD player is that it will read and retry any dodgy file again and again until it reads every last bit, so the data stored is bit perfect. A CD has only a few milliseconds.
There is no shortage of good ripping software starting with iTunes ,which will organise everything into folders , er

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom