1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improving Freeview signal

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by daveb975, Oct 18, 2004.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    I recently took my Sony Freeview box to my parents house to see if they could recevie the service.

My reception in SW London/Surrey is virtually perfect on all channels.

My parents live in Sevenoaks, Kent and the Freeview site says that the service is not available there.

However, when I set the box up it achieved perfect reception on all the channels that it picks up, but does not pick up some of the channels at all (including ITV1/2, C4 & C5). I know this is not a problem with my box as it picks up all of these channels at home.

I have tried a plug-in signal booster, but is there anything else I can try to improve the signal?

2. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you have a long cable from aerial point to TV, it can make a HUGE difference if you use a high quality aerial cable.

I used to use a cheap and cheerful £9.99 5 metre cable across the floor from aerial point to the tv and had difficulty picking up C5 on freeview.

Switched this for a custom-made 7.5m QED Qunex cable for £115. I mainly went for this because I wanted a cable the right length to fit along the wall instead of across the room. However, there was a massive boost in signal quality, and on re-scanning the digital channels, it picked up 20 new freeview channels.

So having a high quality aerial cable does make a big difference, especially if you need a long cable between the TV and the aerial point.

Cheers,
    Mat.

3. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The most obvious thing is the aerial. This will be expensive though and is not guaranteed.

I also live in an area which the post code server said wouldn't get freewview, I tried it, got partial coverage and when I had the aerial replaced I got full coverage.

The best way may be to get a reputable aerial fitter to look at your parents aerial and see if it can be improved or not.

Also someone else on this site may know whether your parents area would expect to get partial coverage.

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Make sure they use CT100 or better cable - this would have helped in the last posting as well!