1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

improving freeview picture on widescreen TV

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by jon_mendel, Apr 22, 2005.

1. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

I've just got a Samsung widescreen TV with an el cheapo Goodman's freeview box connected to it via scart (using an RGB, which I gather should give me the best pic quality through a Scart socket). The pic quality on freeview seemed fine on my smaller TV, but now I've got a bigger screen it shows up problems; DVD looks *much* better than freeview does (also connected via Scart) so I'm presuming the problem must lie somewhere between my freeview box and the TV. First, the problems:
    - you can see kind-of jagged looking diagnol lines on the picture from the freeview, and the edges of objects on TV can also look kind-of jagged.
    - Freeview looks like a lower resolution than DVD - you can see the pixels, and pics look less sharp (but I'm guessing that may be a limitation of freeview, rather than the particular digibox I'm using...)

I think part of the problem is the Scart cable I'm using - using the freeview box with it's nasty free-be cable the problem's more pronounced than using it with the less nasty cable that I got from my local video shop... So, either way I think I'll try upgrading the Scart cable - but not sure whether to just buy a cheap-ish one like I use with my DVD or to buy a more expensive cable. So further suggestions on how to improve matters are welcome - will a fancy cable make much difference? is buying another freeview box likely to give me much improvement? Or anything else I could try (obviously free tweaks would be nice ;) )

Cheers,

Jon

2. rishi

rishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Maybe the scart socket on your tv may not be RGB compatable or enabled.Check your tv manual,or try swap the input to the dvd socket and see whether it makes the difference.

3. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the suggestion. Just noticed I had my DVD player connected up to the AV2 socket (not RGB-enabled) and the freeview to the (RGB enabled) AV1 socket :oops:. The freeview's definitely giving out an RGB signal (I realised the DVD had been relegated to the AV2 socket when I plugged the freeview into the AV2 socket and it garbled the RGB signal); so even with an RGB signal the freeview gives a much worse picture than the DVD... I've got the freeview plugged into the AV2 socket now giving a non-RGB signal (sorry, can't remember what it's called ;) ), and the pic doesn't seem noticably worse...

So, I've now got the DVD running even better - thanks :clap: The freeview's still looking poor though - any more suggestions...

Jon

4. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Actually, I've had a play and on second thoughts running the freeview box in RGB does give a slight improvement; still not a patch on the DVD, though, and still got jagged lines. Also, it would be nice to run the DVD through an RGB compatible SCART as well...guess I could run it though the freeview box, or buy a switch...

So, things improving slightly, but would still be nice to get a better pic on the DVD :)

Jon

5. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Freeview channels vary in the amount of bandwidth they use and thus the quality of the picture. I don't know the exact details off hand but they compress the channels to fit as many as possible in. For me football on ITV v BBC really shows the difference. The grass on BBC you can see the detail, on ITV it just becomes a green canvas with no detail.

I got use scart cables I got from tvcables.co.uk they do some (under £10) flat cables which improved my setup over the free ones. Also a Thor for £17 which I got one of, this improved my colours and blacks alot. They might help over the free-be cables but some of the picture problems you describe could be just part of the way freevie works verus dvd.

6. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cheers - yeah, I noticed that some channels look better than others.

Yeah, trying a better cable did give a slight improvement but nought dramatic - so guess I'll try buying a cheap-ish cable (TVcables looks like it might be good)...and post on the cables forum for suggestions on how to connect both freeview and DVD to my one RGB Scart socket :)

Jon

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    1) Is the box set to 16x9?

2) Try a better box, eg Sony

8. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the suggestions...Yeah, the freeview is set to 16:9. I think I'll upgrade the cable 1st (should be cheap-ish to do, and can use the same cable even if I upgrade boxes) and maybe look to get a better box a later on. Just bought a TV and turntable, so seem to be spending a lot on AV stuff at the moment ;)

Jon